Chapter Nineteen

The sun shining into my eyes wakes me from me sleep. Though I want to go back to sleep, I get out of bed and change out of my pajamas and change into new clothes.

With that all done, I exit the bathroom to see Jordan making some breakfast. Pancakes. Yum.

"You still like pancakes right?"

"Yeah. I was just going to say that you know what I like."

"Like I ever forgot." And I smiled. Of course I smiled.

"Right. You probably looked through my breakfast diary to see what I obsessed over."

"I would never do such a thing!" He jokes with me. "I wouldn't dare look through my little sister's fake breakfast diary." He turns and places his hands on his hips. I second the motion, giving him a mocking face.

We continue to stare at each other until we both just start laughing loudly. After a couple minutes of continuous laughing, we finally catch our breath and he goes back to cooking the delicious smelling pancakes.

I set the table again and sit where I sat yesterday. He puts a plate in the middle of the table, stacked high with pancakes.

I grab two off of the top and pour some syrup on top of them. Jordan follows suit and then we both eat our food with smiles of delight.

"You didn't have any nightmares last night?"

I shake my head. "Nope, I usually don't have nightmares two nights in a row, luckily."

"Well, that's good, at least."

Silence.

"When will you be back later?" I ask, trying to figure out how much time I have to do stuff today.

"Around six. I have some study group stuff after classes." I nod an okay.

***************

Jordan cleaned the table before he left for class. Giving me the run of the place. But the instant he leaves I have nothing do. Ok not going to read a book again. There are no movies to watch and flipping through channels sounds . . . like . . . not my thing. There's nothing to do in this apartment.

Jordan did give me an extra key . . .

I smile as I grab a coat, seeing how there is wind, and stuff the key into my right pocket.

I exit the apartment building and look up and down the street. I decide to go right and see what lies in this town.

I see multiple shops getting ready to open. A couple cafés working to get all of the orders finished. The one thing that stands out is a park on the corner of the block on my left. Not a lot of people are there so it wouldn't be too bad . . . I decide to go over there and just think. Doing so, I cross the street and sit down on the farthest bench there.

Now it's just my and my thoughts.

My thoughts immediately go to the book. Though I keep trying to change my thoughts to something else, I continue to think about the book.

All of those people mentioned in the book killed someone important to them. Some of them were stalkers, others family or close friends. The stalkers were driven by their insanity, the others were on purpose or accidents like me.

And all of them were killed for their crimes.

All of the criminals had one thing in common . . . they were all adult men. Not teenage girls, they were too busy taking care of their growing families, sometimes against their will.

All of those criminals, all of those people.

All of those deaths.

And I finally come to a decision that I have been thinking about for a while. I have to do it. I have to leave. It's just too hard.

Up get off of the bench and run back to Jordan's apartment. I twist the key into his door and quickly walk over to my bedroom.

I pack my stuff up and sling the bag over my shoulder. I drop the key on the key next to a note that says "thanks."

I am just about to exit the apartment when Jordan walks in. Did time really go that fast?! I glance at the clock and see that I did indeed spend a lot of time at the park.

"Jane, are you okay?" Jordan looks at me worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine, I just need to go."

"Did they find you?" He asks.

"No, I just need to go."

"Why?"

I am about to respond when the door knocks. Jordan goes to see who it is and motions with his hand for me to get out of here. I'm about to ask why when he holds a thumb up. And then I know. The police are here. We decided to make a hand sign to tell each other if it's them. And it is.

I quietly make it to my room and slide into the closet. I hear Jordan greet the officers and they move around his apartment. I know that they're looking for me. How did they even find me?

Jordan can talk to them about everything and I know that that won't stop them. They're going to find me. I know it. So, when they sound really far away, I sneak out of the closest and to the fire escape in the living room. The escape is right outside my bedroom door, so it is pretty easy

I slip out of the window and I quickly rush down the metal stairs. I forgot to close the window. Crap. I look up to see someone's head stick out of the window. Great. The head yells at me and I instantly pick up speed. I know that their backup will be here soon and that I need to disappear.

***************

I decide to leave Idaho and head back to Michigan. So, I bought a train ticket. I leave in a few minutes. It would be nice to be back home.