chapter 42

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My alarm went off around nine am, and I forced my eyes open as soon as the song started blasting from my phone’s speakers. I shut it off and left the bed, quickly getting ready for my meeting with Chace. Last night after our call, I did some research on what papers I need to have a passport printed, and fished the ones I actually did have somewhere from random bags I brought when I moved in, and slid them on my desk.

I decided to wear a plain dark red dress, a warm black coat, some random scarf I found tossed in the closet, black shady tights and high heels. November was always very cold here, and I needed to be very warm. Worrying started taking over me, and I collected my two pairs of keys, those papers, my wallet and some other needed stuff, tossed them on my purse and dashed out of my apartment, practically running towards my car.

The cold air hit me the moment I stepped outside the building and I closed my eyes in annoyance, waiting for the breeze to stop just a little. When that happened, I managed to unlock the car and get inside as quickly as I could, because with one glance on my phone screen I realised I was already running in late.

With frantic moves, I drove off and made my way down the highway, trying to remember the directions to Chace’s office. Last time I’ve been there was the first week of September, to get the check he owned me for my services and start my life over. It’s been more than two months, and between them I managed to let an asshole ruin every kind of wall I’ve built all these years to protect my heart.

Kicking out these thoughts, I pulled on the driveway and parked my car on the parking lot, trying to track down Chace’s Porsche. Since I came here, I had to check he was as well; last time I came here before he was, we were fake dating, and almost all his female co–workers were going all bitchy on me, and I don’t want this to happen again. Plus, now it’s even more dangerous; his supposed ex showing up after breaking up with him? Suspicious.

I spotted his car parked somewhere near the entrance and got out of my vehicle, careful to lock it before walking towards the huge building. In my eyes, this place always demanded a dress code, that’s why I wore a dress and heels today. Chace never failed to point out that ‘it’s just a workplace, nothing unusual’ but I’ve always had my logic and point of view on these things that can’t be changed easily.

When I passed the doors, I came face to face with the secretary of the whole place, sitting behind the glassy bench with a phone pressed on her ear. She eyed me up and down when I approached, took a look at some notepad of hers and motioned me towards the elevators. Quietly, I walked to them without a word.

In the elevator I picked were also a woman around twenty three and a man at the same age, both throwing me judgmental looks from time to time, and then whispering things to one another. The situation felt uneasy so I decided to get off earlier as planned, and just walk the rest of the way through the stairs. Chace’s office was on the sixth floor, and I decided to leave on the forth, if it wasn’t for the woman to stop me. “You’re Mr. Bail’s ex girlfriend, aren’t you?”

I turned to look at her courageously, as if she was trying to shoot me. “Yes, that’s me. Do I know you?”

The man chuckled. “You don’t know us, but everybody knows you”. He turned to look at the woman who was now smirking proudly. “You were dating our boss for three months, after all”.

“Okay” was all I said and turned my back at them again. I’ve always despised people who tried to fish information about my relationships or tried to criticize them. It’s just so pathetic to scoot so low only because of jealousy, or hate towards someone. If you don’t like them, just leave it alone, no one asked you or made you say something.