Chapter 4: Now You Know

As Molly Ephraim turns onto a side street, she  rolls down her window, inhaling swiftly. The crisp September air shocks her senses a bit; it shouldn't be this chilly in California, not now - oddly though, the radio forecaster is boasting a fifty two degree day. Strange.

"Ugh. Who calibrates the traffic lights around here?" Thinking out loud, she restlessly taps on her steering wheel, waiting for red to become green.

   She changes the radio station, triggering the ending measures of Carly Rae Jepsen's  new single 'Call Me Maybe'   to reverberate through the car.  This really isn't the time for feel good teen music.  

Perhaps the actress will feel differently on a day when she's sure that her career isn't going to go up in flames.

   Fifteen minutes ago, Both Molly and Kaitlyn  received a group text from Nancy, letting them know that they had been 'found out', by the Last Man Standing producers. The message included a photo attachment; in it, the couple, caught in a steamy liplock, adorned with familiar jewelry and attire, in a familiar place. 

  One Small Step.  That obscure little dance studio on the outskirts of NYC. It was the best birthday surprise Molly had ever gotten. They'd been so careful. Their time slot for the rental was 3:00 am eastern time.  No one else should have logically been there.

 How the hell did this Happen? 

Who even took the Photo?

 The response messages to their TV Mom were sent seconds apart, Kaitlyn's being the latter. 

I have no idea. All I know is that Jack and Tim want to meet with both of you, right now. I promise I'll be in your corner. Just get to Anaheim as quickly as you can. -Nancy Travis has left the chat

Jack Burditt, The main producer and creator of Last Man Standing, recently charged Tim Allen,  - the couple's TV Dad- with the duty of directing the rest of the season. The two men are now essentially running the show, and Jack has a small office in Anaheim.

Both of them want to meet up? We're screwed.

We'll be fine, Kait. Don't be so dramatic, okay?

I'm dramatic? Weren't you the one who practically had a meltdown  when you cracked your phone screen on asphalt last month?

 You were the one who cracked it, remember?  And I'm just trying to be the calm one here. One of us has to.

Three minutes have elapsed when Kaitlyn's final text comes in.

I have to Drive, Molly. I'll see you at Jack's office.

I Love You.

  The Raven-haired woman stares at the text intensely, as if she'll find some hidden meaning in the words. Both women are reasonably on edge today- neither in a position to blame the other for being somewhat irritable. Even so, Molly can't help but wonder, for a split second, if this entire thing was a mistake.

  No.  She pushes the thought away as quickly as it forms. She and Kaitlyn are meant to be together, and absolutely nothing is going to break them. 

 I Love You, Too.

Be Safe.

And with that, Molly lets her iPhone screen go black, training her own eyes on the road.

_____________________________________________

    It's nearing noon when  Kaitlyn  Dever arrives at the Anaheim office, just minutes after her girlfriend. The building contains offices of four or five other television producers,  and it takes her a minute to find Jack Burditt's door.