Chapter 8

Warning: domestic abuse/mentions of
Domestic abuse is a horrible thing and it's urgent to speak out against it

Flashback continuation

Jax leans over his desk, papers scattered everywhere and one single lamp illuminating his space. His once tidy and slicked back hair was a mess, strands falling out of position. His stubble was unkept and in anger, he yells, sweeping the papers and slamming his fists down hard on the table.

"Jax?" (Y/N) calls his name, slowly opening the door. "Honey, you've been trying to search for that thing for months now." She says.

"Don't you think I know that." He spits out.

"Okay, come on. I'm taking you out."

Jax turns, his eyes burning with anger. "You're always getting in the way!" He yells.

"Yeah because you're working yourself to the bone!" She yells back and in pure rage, he pushes her against wall.

His fist hits next to her head and she flinches, his breath fanning her face. "I'm trying to work. Be useful for once and leave me alone." He whispers, the tone frightening.

(Y/N) nods, desperate to get out.

"Good."  Jax removes his hand and opens the door wider, slamming it as soon as she had ran out.

A few days past, (Y/N) doesn't bother Jax, but doesn't leave the house either, trying to distract herself with work.

Feeling more braver than the last night she saw him, she knocks on the door to his office, receiving a "Come in."

Jax turns to her, his expression loving. "Hey, baby, I've missed you." He says, hugging her. Her face softens, feeling like the other night was just the pressure.

"It's date night. Remember?" She asks and he pulls away.

"I can't, sweetie. I'm so close to finding the location."

"Jax, you promised. I'm sick of you chasing what doesn't exist."

And that's all that was needed.

He forcefully takes her arm. "Do you think this is a joke? I'm trying to get this job for the money. To pay for us and our future."

He starts yelling now, each word hitting her like a stab to the heart.

"Jax, you're hurting me!" She exclaims, his hand around her wrist tightening.

"God, you're always whining." He says, letting go and turning back to his papers. (Y/N) rubs her wrist, confused at his sudden change in behaviour.

"Why can't you just learn to let things go?" She asks, not backing down.

Without any warning, Jax turns, picking up the glass of water off his desk and throwing it, narrowly missing (Y/N). It smashes into the wall behind her and she jumps away, afraid.

"Clean it up."

She listens to his instruction, staring at him to make sure she heard right and regains her posture.

"Clean it up yourself." (Y/N) manages out, quickly leaving and slamming the door behind her.

"No, you do not get away that easy." Jax mumbles, following her down the corridor.