Chapter 9

A warm wave of his breathe fanned out over my face, the scent of mint. It was so quiet except for the slow, constant intakes of breathe and the soft hum-like exhales of someone beside me. A powerful wind roared outside of the window, Palm trees sounding like whips in the wind. He chest moved in sync with mine and my heart skipped a of couple beats as I registered the warm hands wrapped tightly around me. Jack. And me. Laying together. Cuddled up in a way you would've guessed it was a winter night.

I wanted to sit up, but that would mean ruining the dream-like state I was in. I guessed it was night, and as I slowly opened my eyes, I was greeted with the white walls of the hotel room casted with shadows of trees whipping from side to side. I slightly turned my head, facing the bedside table and JJ's bed. It was empty, and it was eleven. The dim light from the street lamps faded into the room, and I turned my head again to look at Jack.

He looked so at peace. His cheeks looking hollow with shadows, yet they still had a rosy glow. Every now and then his eyebrows would furrow together, and his forehead would crease slightly. His lips moved like he was trying to talk, and he hummed softly. I wanted to lean in and kiss him, so I did.

Maybe this was the perk Jack was talking about. Being able to look at your significant other with such heart warming admiration that you had to kiss them.

My phone buzzed on the side table, and I inched my way over to grab it. I had nineteen missed calls, some from my mom and drea, one from Cameron, and all the rest from Levi. They had all texted me with urgent messages containing the same, "where are you?". Except for Cameron, who offered if I wanted to get some coffee with him this weekend.

"Shit," I muttered to myself. I debated whether to ruin this moment and get up and return everyone's calls, soothe my mothers worries and fill the needs of Levi's annoyingly accurate symptoms of brotherhood, or to lay here and turn my phone off and cuddle back into the warmth a of Jacks chest. I chose the second option.

-

"Wake up, sleeping beauty."

The first thing I heard that morning was Jacks sarcastic yet sweet rumble of a voice.

"Go away..." I mumbled. As I grew more aware, I realized I had a trail of drool running down my chin, so I sloppily wiped it away and went face first into a pillow.

"C'mon. It's ten. Plus there's like a fucking hurricane outside."

I sleepily wiped my face with both hands and sat up (I was struggling, so Jack came to my aid by grasping my elbow) and looked out the window. The storm from last night had lost no momentum, and it looked like it had little chance of doing so. It was so dark outside I could've sworn it was still night time.

"I love sleeping in storms," I groaned.

"Me too, but your brother left some not-so-friendly messages on my phone... Telling me not to... Uh... 'Hook up' with you."

"He's so annoying." I sighed, reaching over for my phone. I turned it on and saw that I had more missed calls and texts than I did last night, and most of them were from Levi telling me what he was going to do to Jack if he laid a finger on me. Others were from my mom telling me to call her, NOW.

I prepared for the worst lecture of my life as I dialed my moms phone number. Jack was pouring a cup of cheap hotel coffee on the opposite side of the room when she picked up.

"Alexis." She said in that firm, you're-in-so-much-trouble mother voice.

"Mom, listen. Before you go crazy, let me explain."

She didn't say anything, so I took that as my cue to lie on command. I didn't usually lie to my mom. In fact, I hated lying to her, but telling her I spent the night with my (boyfriend? Were we on a boyfriend and girlfriend basis?) guy friend was out of the question.