6

Josie needed a break from Salvatore, and her sister, and Hope and everything about the merge. So when her mother asks if she wants to visit, she gets on a plane to Europe as soon as she can. 

Now here she is, getting in a car her mother ordered for her, on her way to the house she's staying at in Belgium, Brussels to be exact- apparently there's some sort of work here for her. But Josie can't help thinking about someone else when she thinks of Belgium. 

The ride is long, but beautiful. The car takes her through the city of Belgium and out to the more country side, where her mother is staying.

"Mom?" she calls out and walks inside, looking around. She sees someone on the couch and assumes its her mom, until instead of blonde curly hair, its short, dark brown hair she sees resting on the pillow. 

"Josie!" Her mom yells out from behind her and she turns just in time to greet her with a hug. She's happy to hug her mom for a minute or two, having not seen her in months, but she's preoccupied with the girl on the couch.

But after she pulls away, she points down to the couch, "So, care to explain why Penelope Park is asleep on your couch?" she asks and Caroline shrugs. 

"That..." Caroline points, trying to come up with an explanation, "well that is a long story, but whey don't we let her sleep and catch up in the kitchen." 

Josie follows her mom, looking back at Penelope on the couch, her face smushed into the pillow with her hair all over the place. She frowns, wondering what the hell Penelope is doing here instead of the witch school she's supposed to be at. 

"I was thinking today we could get some dinner, and I'll just show you around the town." Caroline pours her a cup of coffee and sits across the table.

"Sounds fine to me, I'm just happy to have a break from school with you." Josie sips her coffee and smiles at her mom. 

"So...would you like to discuss the elephant in the room?" Caroline smirks slightly, but hides it behind her cup.

"No, I think I'll just ignore it." Josie replies and Caroline chuckles. 

"Okay. So come on then I'll show you the garden in the back." Caroline opens the back door and Josie follows her out, "I didn't realize you really lived here." she says, "I thought you were just following a lead here."

"We are, but it's been a pretty tough lead to get a hold of. We're still working on it, but it's so beautiful here it isn't really that bad." Caroline sits down on a bench and Josie walks around the garden, looking at all the flowers and herbs she assumes Penelope planted in the garden. 

"So, we? Penelope is here with you?" Josie asks, oddly calm, and Caroline braces herself for some sort of yelling when she explains that, yes Penelope has actually been living with her since she left Salvatore, and Alaric doesn't know. 

"Well...yes, she has. Since she left school." Caroline says and Josie looks up from where she is now sitting in the garden, picking flower petals. 

Josie had always been her more sweet daughter, she was always more gentle, picking flowers and letting spiders out of the house instead of killing them. Whereas her sister steps on flowers and lights spiders on fire. 

She didn't want to tell her she was harboring her ex over the phone, because then Josie might not have come to see her. 

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Josie pouts and Caroline smiles at her. "I wanted you to come see me." she shrugs, "and I didn't think you would if you knew."

"Yeah, probably true." Josie agrees with a little giggle. "So am I supposed to get along with her?" 

"I think you'll get along fine" Caroline giggles, "Speaking of the devil, she's awake."