16:「 Ice and Crystal 」

"Staaaaarrrttttt"

Immediately, Ruka created purple crystals in her palm and flung them at Carine, who formed a blade of ice from her arm to deflect the attack.

"As expected," Ruka spoke.

"You've always been so many steps ahead of me. It always seemed impossible to catch up to you, but I didn't enroll into this school just to watch you. I came here to get stronger myself, and I have." Ruka shifted her weight to her front leg and charged towards Carine.

"So don't you dare underestimate me!" she shouted while running.

In response, Carine created a blizzard of ice and snow, and directed it towards her opponent. Ruka recoiled against the harsh, cold air as it sent her reeling back.

A wave of icicles shot up from the ground at Carine's command, rapidly heading for Ruka. The attack was halted, however, by an identical row of crystals that came from Ruka's side.

Carine couldn't help but let out a sad smile. "I want to thank you for everything up until now. You're strong and confident. You've always been that way. I want to grow and become stronger too," Carine looked down at her palm, and then back to Ruka.

"That's why I'm aiming for the top!" Carine froze the other side of the ground in order to slow down her opponent.

She then aimed a swarm of ice needles at Ruka, who managed to completely block the attack by creating a shield of jagged crystals in front of her.

Memories of their friendship throughout the years enveloped both of them. Carine remembered the first time she met her closest friend. It was after Rukiya had departed, and left young Carine to wallow in desolation and insecurity.

Ruka had befriended her when she was alone, and it was Ruka who gradually gave Carine the warmth to grow, because otherwise, she would withered in the cold long ago.

From her shield, Ruka formed thorn-like crystals that rapidly grew toward her target. Carine dodged the attack, but the crystal manipulated itself to continuously expand towards her.

From her hands, Carine projected a beam of ice onto the shield. Rapidly, the shield of crystal froze and shattered; the thorns broke apart along with it.

Suddenly, an immense wave of crystals shot up from the ground in front of Ruka and swiftly moved towards Carine, increasing in height as it bounded across the arena.

Carine, however, created a similar counterattack with a wave of ice. Smoke and bursts of air engulfed the arena as the two forces of ice and crystal collided, each attempting to push past each other to reach its respective target.

Within a minute, the smoke cleared, and the stadium witnessed Carine standing still, but her opponent had crossed the boundary.

Ruka was lying with her back on ground as she looked up at the clear blue sky. She panted in exhaustion, covering her eyes with her right arm. Tears welled up in Carine's eyes as she remembered more of her past alongside Ruka.

She looked up at the sky and closed her eyes, allowing the tears to flow freely down her face.

"Sakino is out of bounds! Minazuki moves on to the third round!" Midnight declared.

In the audience, spectators chattered amongst each other.

"Man, she's already stronger than most pro heroes..."

"As expected from the sibling of the no. 3 hero, Halo."

"But that crystal girl was strong too; Her quirk was amazing!"

"Yeah! She put up a good fight. That was impressive, for sure."

Carine wiped away her tears and smiled. "Thank you, Ruka, for giving me this warmth."

Her ray of sunlight helped young Carine to grow, but there were parts that were so cold, even Ruka's warmth couldn't reach them. Those pieces have long been frozen solid.