Chapter 10

Jules' mom didn't take the news well.

Not that I expected her to.

She promised to tell Frank what Juliet had asked me to tell him.

After hanging up, I sighed and returned to my position on the couch.

I've never really dealt with death before. There were a few days where I had thought that Pierre Despereaux AKA Royston Cornwallis Staley AKA the coolest man on earth had died, but it was all a hoax and I got over it.

This was all real and much more personal.

I needed to get out of that house. I couldn't deal with all the pictures of Jules and all of the memories in the rooms.

I pulled out my phone and used my GPS to track down Lassie's phone.

I'm so glad I installed that as a joke a few years ago.

I got the address of the hotel he was staying in and hopped in my car.

Now, I would have gone to see Gus, but I see Gus for everything. Besides, Lassie probably wanted to see me, because let's be real here, I'm me.

I pulled up to the Suncrest Hotel and basically just meandered around with my GPS until I got closest to the dot on my screen that indicated that I was outside of Lassie's room.

I knocked on the door.

The man that answered was an unexpected version of Lassiter.

His shirt was untucked and his tie was loosened.

His eyes were red, like he had been crying. Or smoking pot. But most likely crying.

I never thought a man's emotional state could deteriorate so fast.

"Spencer..." he started, sniffling a little bit.

"Can I come in?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess."

I stepped inside the hotel room.

It looked like a tornado had blown through.

Lassie has always been an angry person; it was just like him to destroy a hotel room out of grief.

I sat down on a chair in the corner of the room. He sat on the bed.

It was silent for a few minutes.

"She told me to tell you that you're the best."

Lassie looked at me.

"What?"

"Jules. When she was..." I stopped. "She told me to tell you that you're the best."

"Oh."

"Mhm."

It was silent.

I just stared at the mess Lassiter had made.

After a few minutes of silence, it got awkward. Like neither one of us had anything to say.

"Well," I said, standing up. "Good talk. I'll see you around." I started towards the door.

"Spencer, wait."

I turned around. Lassie had gotten up from the bed.

"Just... hang in there," he said, walking over to me and giving me the most awkward, uncomfortable pat on the shoulder I have ever experienced.

"Will do." I gave him a nod and walked out the door.

I went back home and remembered why I left.

There's no way she was gone. Her death had to be a hoax or something. She couldn't just leave me like that.

I mean, what are the chances that one bulletproof vest couldn't do the job for Jules?

It hadn't even been 3 hours since it happened.

She couldn't be dead. She just couldn't be.

Wait.

The drawer.

Jules had said something about a drawer.

You know what? Who cares? It's just a freaking drawer.

I don't even know what she meant about a drawer.

Who cares about anything, really? There's really no point in living. We all just die anyway.

I felt the rage building up inside of me.

I was going to kill Thorndale and everyone associated with him.

I was going to do whatever it took.