B for Bane

Amber had to accept the ride back to her work place. Not only that she had to get there back in time if not to lose her job, she could not get the memory of that photo out of her mind. It haunted her although she tried not to talk anything about it with detective Raymond. The car stopped in front of the Mcdonalds and Amber took off her seat belt.
    " Look... I don't think that was meant for me....it gotta be someone with the same name as me." she shook her head. "because I just don't really see any reason why I would be involved.."

Raymond nodded. "Yeah... We sent out notices to other towns to check for someone with that name." he smiled. "Anyhow... thank you for your cooperation.."

Amber was surprised. He actually seemed too cold earlier.
"Sure.." she said as she got out of the car and sarcastically snapped, ".. though I did lose my fee of three hours."

The officer called through the window and gestured at the restaurant. "How about I buy you lunch?"

Amber grinned. "I work here.. I get free lunch."

"That's even better... Then you get to have me as a new customer." his tone was ironic. "I'm sure your boss will be impressed."

***

     Amber catered her new  customer the cheese burger, coke and fries he ordered. "Here you go officer Raymond."

   "Ray.." he said, ".. call me Ray." He started digging into his meal." By the way, don't mind  about the way I acted earlier...They were recording it, so I was acting professional... Normally I'm not that-"

    " Impolite..? "Amber raised her eyebrow.

    " Polite... actually, " Ray acted confused." What do you mean I was impolite? I was using the most decent language... "

Amber nodded. The sarcasm in her tone was vivid as she mumbled "Yeah ... Right. "

She sat down in front of him. Her shift was already over. Although she had to stay the night to make the bucks for today, right now she was free, apart from having to clean up the tables.

" So... is this like your first case? "she asked

"Is it that obvious? "Ray rolled his eyes." Well it's not my first case... I've done robbery and minor cases before. This is just my first murder case.... plus, I already got an intern working under me..."He lifted his eye brow as if he was proud, but then shrugged. "Probably because the 'experienced' ones move to better places than Cheyenne and to other states than Wyoming.. "

" Oh no no.. I mean you just seem to appear too young to be a detective... " Amber muttered.

    Ray slowed down eating and glimpsed at Amber. He chuckled,"I  wonder if I should take it as a compliment or an insult. "

She chuckled back. Ray had finished his burger. Now he was sipping on his cola.

" Just let me know if you know or get to know anything about this Lorenzo guy... You are the only lead we have yet... so.. "

Amber looked down.." I honestly don't know.. anything about that guy.... But I'll let you know if there is something... "

Ray nodded, putting some fries in his mouth.  "I understand..." he said. "Maybe there could be a distant connection... Like if he used to visit this place ... Or used to attend classes at your college... Or you have been to his office without knowing it was him..Or used to live in Newcastle..Or-"

"Newcastle? In Weston? ... Amber interrupted suddenly." What about it..? "

"That's where he used to live... But moved here in 2016." said Ray.

  Amber's eyes enlarged. "That's ... that's where we used to live too.. before moving here. "

"Who's we?" Ray questioned, suddenly interested in the strange coincidence.

"Well," Amber said "me.. and my brother..."

Ray slouched back in his seat and Amber could see that he was musing over something. She asked, "Do you think.. Maybe it's gotta do something with that town...?"

"Yeah ...there is a possibility..." he nodded, he tilted his head " When did you move here? "

Amber murmured. "Umm.. In 2013.."

"Was a there a reason?... Like maybe better job opportunities... or something?"

"Well... I don't think so.." Amber sighed. "Actually.. There had been an accident and...my dad died... So, we didn't wanna live there anymore.. I guess"

"Oh.. I'm so sorry..." Ray shook his head.

"Oh..that's okay.." Amber shrugged.