G for Guilt

Amber pushed herself through the corridors of the police station, trying hard not to think anything. She wanted to find Ray. He was the only one that came to her mind right now. Her legs hurt from the sudden exercise she had given herself by standing, running and climbing stairs. Her mind was bursting from the sudden change of reality which she wished wasn't true.

Amber entered the main office, slamming the door behind her as she squinted for a sight of Ray. The room was unusually dark with some silhouettes of people were gazing up at a screen on the wall. She glimpsed at the screen herself, without consent.

Amber gasped, while her palm flew over to cover her mouth, automatically.

          It can't be.....

She stood frozen again as she witnessed the same emarald eyes.

She kept staring breathless, until someone's hand touched her shoulder, making her almost shout.

     "It's me... It's okay..." Ray muttered, trying to calm her down.

     "What ? How?" Amber cried, helpless. "what's happening?"

The video was replaying a close-up of a masked person walking towards another masked person. After a few moments, the 2nd one takes off the mask, uncovering her brilliant green eyes.

      Kiara.

     "I don't know... We're all confused here...." Ray mumbled, hands still on Amber's shoulders. " Mokshit was going through surveillance cameras in some stores and came up with this...look Amber,we can't be sure of anything right now... These cameras aren't much clear either... It's just the eyes.... So maybe it's not her at all....Kiara died 5 years ago.. maybe it's just a look—alike... So don't panic.."

Amber inhaled heavily. She tried to calm down, but she was almost screaming as she said," but I saw her! I saw her! "

Ray narrowed his eye brows, his hands holding her more tightly. "What? What are you talking about?"

    "At the station...!" tears running across her cheeks. "Kiara... She was there...."

***

   "Where do you think they went afterwards?" Moby asked, as he carefully studied the last seconds of the footage once again. The screen replayed the masked figure heading south towards downtown and then disappearing behind a ruined building in the corner, followed by the green eyed girl.

    "Maybe somewhere in downtown..." Ray muttered. "I heard there are a plenty of cheap rooms... They could be hiding in somewhere like that...."

   "Yeah," Moby said " Ray, I think we should gather some of our men and run a search through that place..."

   "Sounds good.. but let's suit up.. If the man had a gun then, there's no reason to believe he ain't got one now." Ray suggested and turned to his intern. "Finlay, let's say this is your first operation...you gotta gun right?"

    "No, sir...don't have license yet..."

    Ray chuckled. " who'd care about a license when you get gunned down?... I'll tell you what... I'll let you have my first 38.caliber. It's an old edition of 38J plus-P . Ever used a gun when in tax department?"

     "No, sir...we were only taught how to shoot at a target." Pete answered, smiling.

     Ray opened his desk drawer and took out an old pistol. "why? never needed one to scare out the never-tax- paying residents?"

     Pete chuckled as he took the gun and thanked his boss.

     Amber was sitting on the couch, sipping on a coffee, musing. She was tapping her feet on the floor as she tried to focus on nothing at all. She wished she could do it... but she couldn't.

    " Hey, how're you feeling? " Ray asked, as he partially put on his coat, ready to do the operation downtown.

     " Okay, I guess." Amber lied, nodding.

    " By the way.. I sent a team to secure the subway station...but if the suspects were really there... they most likely to leave there before we make it..." Ray muttered, as he loaded his weapon.

   " Ray... she was there... I saw her..she was staring, straitly at me..." Amber uttered in a deep tone.

    He sighed, and crouched near where she was sitting." look, Amber..   maybe it wasn't her at all... Maybe it's an imposter... Or her identifical twin or someone... Or else it definitely gotta be a reincarnation! "
     "I wish not..." Amber mumbled, trying to smile.