M for Mystery

"So he killed himself? ..... Because he was going to get caught...?" Amber asked, as she walked across the room to get some water. Ray had come to check on her and told her the whole story of how Pete was found dead in a motel room in Newcastle. He assured that she is safe now, as Sebastian May had ended his own life.

     "Yeah..." Ray sighed, sitting on the couch. He slouched, rubbing his forehead. "I just can't believe it... my own intern turning out to be the culprit in my own investigation... I should have seen it... I should have known at least where exactly he worked before...."

     Amber stepped over as she sat beside him. She took his hand and caressed it. " Ray, it's not your fault... Bosses doesn't have to know everything about the ones who work under him.... Look at my boss.... doesn't even know what my name is... calls me the the 'call girl' 'cause I'm in charge of taking meal orders from callers!" she laughed.

    " God that's ridiculous.."Ray exclaimed, "that's a really offensive insult... You know what..? I could arrest him on false charges, if you want..."

     Amber shook her head, " no.. no I don't think he knows what it's double meaning is.. He calls in short of 'calling girl' and his English is not good as his French..." she chuckled. "and it's also a bit better than him calling me the hairy girl like before 'cause I was the only one with long hair... I used to feel like an hairy ape then!"

     Ray laughed with her. She was still holding her hand. The dark memories of what he faced today, seemed to fade when he was with her.
    He exhaled as they finally reduced there laugh into a chuckle. He looked at her, as he rubbed the back of her palm. Then he slowly took it and placed it on his lap.

     Her eyes were wide as she looked down at their hands. It was kind of uncomfortable, but she actually enjoyed the feeling. She eventually relaxed her palm, letting Ray's fingers glide through out it.

     He murmured, their feelings mutual. "Hey, why don't I take you out tonight..? You spent whole last 2 days in here...and there is no more masked man in town.. ."

     Amber looked down. "I can't.... I'm too scared to leave Daniel alone... If anything ever happens to him... I can't-" she paused, a lump stuck in her throat as she the thought passed her mind.

     "Shhh....nothing's gonna happen to him....you don't have to worry.... And if you don't feel like it... it's okay...." Ray patted her hand more deeply. "... but I can place my most trusted man, Mokshit Bibib Singh in here for the night.... And he'll be glad to help you after he turned out to be wrong accusing you...."

***

   Ray and Amber stood, as they admired the mesmerising beauty of the Sloans lake. The water waves rippled on the surface, illuminating the merigold rays of sun set as they did so.

   " Are you sure Moby's gonna be okay? He'll probably get a lot bored...." Amber muttered, her eyes  engaged in the infinite horizon of the lake.

    "Nah ... he'll be fine..." Ray snorted, "all he does at home is either continue his TV series or watch another Indian movie.... both he also can do in your brother's room..."

     Amber chuckled. She removed her slippers and tucked her long white gown in her hands as she stepped into the shallow waters. The freezing water lightly thrust into her bare feet.

  " Beautiful.... "Ray murmured, softly.
   Amber nodded, turning back to look at Ray, and back at the setting sun. " Yeah...I've never been here at this time of hour.... "

    He shook his head, grinning. His eyes directly on her. " I wasn't talking about that.... "

    For a moment she was confused. As if to ask what he meant she turned to him. But his direct stare on her, automatically answered her question.
She remembered how Ray talked about how men who want to sexual satisfaction tend to the same thing.