Chapter 13

The rest of the students from class 1-A and 1-B that were still conscious cried over the attack as they waited for the police and more Pros to show up. They held each other for support and called their parents to let them know that they were okay. But not Todoroki.

Shoto watched with a deadpan expression as Midoriya and the rest of the injured students were carried off in ambulances. He kept himself completely under control while the police drove him back to his house. He didn't let a single feeling show on his face when Fuyumi fussed over him. Until he was able to be alone in the familiar training room, he was perfectly statuesque and numb.

But once the sliding door gently clasped behind him, his emotions boiled over. A raging fire burst from his left as deadly shards of ice flew from his right, scorching wood and making it creak with fierce coldness.

With the last of his energy, he destroyed all the machines and other items in the room. He was just as angry with himself as he was with the villains that had hurt Midoriya and kidnapped Bakugo. His mind screamed at him for not being enough... for having resisted his father's training.

Even though rationally he knew Endeavor was just being unnecessarily harsh and cruel in his methods, Todoroki couldn't help but wonder if things would have turned out differently had he just been obedient from the start.

As the flames and frost finally receded from his ruined clothes, he let his frustrated tears fall. Todoroki knew that Katsuki and Midoriya had made a breakthrough and he would be even more devastated than he already was if the blonde wasn't saved.

More than that, Shoto didn't want to give Izuku the chance to think that he hadn't tried his hardest to save Bakugo. He truly had done his best, but it just wasn't good enough and Dabi snatched Katsuki right before he did.

If he made a plan and executed it, then he could prove his worth to himself and Izuku, and hopefully, quell the terrible guilt and sense of failure he was feeling. But before he got to that, there was one more thing he desperately needed to take care of.

He pulled out his phone, his fingers trembling against the keys. It took several tries to get the full message typed, but despite his blurry, leaking eyes and jitters, he managed.

[Shoto Todoroki; 10:38 PM]: Mrs. Midoriya, this is Shoto Todoroki. I know I swore to you that I would keep Izuku safe, but I failed tonight and I'm so sorry for being too weak to protect your son. I do not expect your forgiveness or understanding. I just wanted you to know that I am aware of how I've let you down and next time I'll do better. Please, let me know if I can be assistance to you or Izuku.

Todoroki slowly got to his feet, not actually believing that he'd receive a text back at all, but especially not tonight when she was no doubt falling apart over her gravely injured son. He rubbed his burning face with his right hand, cooling the migraine that was already threatening to blind him.

"We'll get you back, Bakugo. Midoriya needs you..." he murmured.

Midoriya woke up days later after suffering from bouts of dangerously high temperatures and hallucinations from pain. Almost as soon as his mind focused on his surroundings, he became very much aware of how he'd failed to stop Bakugo from being taken.

His eyes filled with tears and he started to sob, uncaring how each shake in his body giggled his still broken arms. But that wasn't the only thing destroying him at that moment. No, he felt entirely alone. Even though he still had the rest of his classmates, his mom, and of course All Might, it didn't make up for losing the two boys he loved.

Bakugo had once been his best friend and despite how they'd gone years without being close, as soon as they'd had their heart to heart it was like all that time apart was meaningless. Then he'd 'lost' Todoroki just two days before that, the boy rejecting how he felt without giving a reason why.