Chapter 9

A.N.

The passages quoted are from the American version of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", Chapter Twenty-three, Christmas on the Closed Ward, page 510-11, 512 & 514.  Harry Potter books are the sole possession of J K Rowling and no copyright infringement was meant or implied by the use of this quoted passage.

                                                  Chapter 9 : Neville saves the day

The Healer pointed her wand at the door of the Janis Thickey ward and muttered 'Alohomora'. The door swung open and she led the way inside, keeping a firm grasp on Gilderoy's arm until she had settled him into an armchair beside his bed.

"This is our long-term resident ward," she informed  Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny in a low voice.  "For permanent spell damage, you know.  Of course, with intensive remedial potions and charms and a bit of luck, we can produce some improvements . . .  Gilderoy does seem to be getting back some sense of himself, and we've seen a real improvement in Mr. Bode, he seems to be regaining the power of speech very well, though he isn't speaking any language we recognize yet . . . well, I must finish giving out the Christmas presents, I'll leave you all to chat . . ."

Harry and Hermione exchanged looks while Ron was craning his neck to see if Neville and his Gran were down at the end of the ward, behind the privacy screen that they knew was blocking Neville's parents area from the rest of the ward.  Ginny had been pulled down onto a chair next to Lockheart, as he reached for a pile of photos.

"You can put them in envelopes," he said to Ginny, throwing the signed pictures into her lap one by one as he finished them. "I am not forgotten, you know, no. I still receive a very great deal of fan mail . . .  Gladys Gudgeon writes weekly . . . I just wish I knew why   . . . "

Ron nudged Harry.  "I can see Neville's Gran's hat bobbing up and down, so they're down there all right."

Harry nodded, then Hermione grabbed his arm, and pointed to a trolley, on which rested some wrapped Christmas presents and a rather ugly potted plant, it swaying tentacles moving slowly, looking rather innocent, with the Christmas bow tied around the pot.  But they knew better and  watched as the Healer took the plant over to Bode's bedside and left it on his night table, talking softly to him.

"It really doesn't look dangerous, does it," whispered Ron.

"But in a week, it'll have grown enough to kill Mr. Bode," Hermione reminded him.

Harry came over to them and whispered,  "Here comes Neville and his Gran."

"And --- oh, Mrs. Longbottom, are you leaving already?"

All four of the kids swiveled around to face the approaching witch and her grandson.  They had to suppress a fit of the giggles, remembering how Neville's Boggart had been Severus, dressed as his Gran . . . and here she was in the flesh; green gown, fox fur, buzzard topped hat, red purse and all!

"Neville!" Ron called.  "Who are you here to see?  We're getting autographs from old Gilderoy," he finished, jerking his thumb over his shoulder.

"Neville, dear, you must introduce me to these friends of yours," Mrs. Longbottom instructed, as she bore down on them.  Neville was too busy blushing and looking at the floor instead of at the group in front of him.

"Hello, Mrs. Longbottom,"  Harry said, extending his hand.  "I'm Harry Potter."

Her shriveled, clawlike hand grasped his in a surprisingly warm, firm handshake. "AH, yes, I know who you are, Neville speaks highly of you, Mr. Potter.  And you two are clearly part of Molly and Arthur Weasley's brood . . . I know your parents, not well, of course, but they are fine people."