Chapter Five

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.

This was Rain's mantra while she was waiting to board the first plane of her long trip. She had arrived an hour and a half before her flight. Her mom was going to take the day off to be with her daughter, but Rain insisted in leaving alone because she was not scared. That was, however, a lie. Planes and heights, in general, were a very rampant source of anxiety and panic for Rain. She was also worried about her life for the upcoming months.

Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe o-.

Rain's phone suddenly rang, interrupting her mantra.

"Hello, yes, mamá?" Answered Rain in a dry voice.

"Everything is going to be okay, baby. You have everything you need and your mommy will always support you."

"Yes... I'll miss you, mom."

"Me, too, sweetheart."

"W-what if the plane falls?"

"Here we go again. Rain, the airplane is not going to crash. It is safer than a car."

"B-but what if there is a mechanical or technical malfunction?"

"Rain."

"What if I die... I- I- I- don't th-think I can do this."

"You are having a panic attack. This is the main reason I wanted to see you off."

Rain let out a shaky breath. She was shivering uncontrollably and her eyes became watery. She tried to speak, but no words would come out. There was a lump on her throat and a brazen tightness in her chest. Her heart was racing and her breath was hitching. Tears started pouring freely from her eyes, staining her cheeks.

"Rain? Rain, I know you cannot talk right now. Just listen to your mom. First, the plane will not fall to the ground. You will not die. You will not crash. I'll beat the crap out of the CEO of that aircraft company if it does, okay? Even if it's a very simple malfunction that forces an early landing, I will personally hunt them down.
"Secondly, you are off to live alone for a few months, but this will be for the better. We talked about this. Opportunities we cannot miss. You are an adult, you are not attached to me. You are your own person. Use this to grow and live, Rain. I know, it hurts. We have been inseparable for years. I am in pain, too. But knowing that this will bring so much prosperity to you brings me comfort.
"Thirdly, you are going to that country with all the pretty Asian boys you like. Maybe you get to see them live or something. Cheer up! Plus, you will get to experience a new culture. You love learning. Well, indulge!
"Lastly, I am so proud of you, my darling. You have no idea. It makes me so happy to see you thrive despite it all... you can do this and much more. Nothing can stop you, for you are my daughter."

     Rain had stopped crying. Her mother's words provided her with an odd comfort. She had not felt this scared or sad in awhile, but Liz's words were always wise.

"Text me everyday," Rain replied after a few seconds of silence. Her voice was hoarse and low, as her nose was stuffy from all the crying.

"Of course. It's not like we're going to be isolated from communication."

"I think I'm boarding soon, mom..."

"Alright. Text me when you have signal or WiFi. On each stop."

     And she was off to the unknown. By her second stop, she was accustomed to the flying. Her anxiety had been replaced by utter exhaustion, as she had not slept the day before, which would mean she had been awake for almost forty-eight hours. She had to wait for an hour to board her next flight, which would take her to Seoul.