A Bad Day

Cat's P.O.V.

I can't get past this.  When my mom got to the hospital, she dissolved into tears, everyone in the room crying.  Now it's been a week and I cry about her everyday.  It's impossible to pass by her room, eat her favorite cereal that sits in the cupboard.  Every time that one of her favorite shows play, or even just a commercial for it, I start crying.  One of the blankets downstairs still smells like her; mac makeup and hair oils.  If a favorite artist of hers plays on the radio, I can't turn it off because it's like she's with me all of the sudden, dancing around me and laughing.  I haven't gone anywhere, including school.  Well, I went back to the hospital.  Although the stitches heeled, they said that I have to wear a big, black boot for the next three weeks.  Sometimes Kian will come over, but we just cry together.  My mom hasn't looked at me the same way since.  I wish Andrea was here.  I wish her death with her.  She would understand.  

After that week of staying at home, my mom insists that I have to go back to school.  I drag myself out of bed that morning, crying through my shower and ignoring breakfast.  My teachers immediately give me all the work that I missed, weighing down my back pack.  A lot of my friends and just people I would say hi to in the halls ask me why I wasn't there.  I can't say Andrea's name without crying, so I just make up a story about my leg.  Connor finds me after my third class of the day and I feel like absolute shit.  He takes my backpack off my shoulder and carries it in one hand while holding me against him with the other, trying to help me calm down.  The second bell rings, signaling that we have 2 minutes to get to our classes, or else we'll be late.  I take my bag back, knowing full well that I can't make it across campus to my next class in two freaking minutes.  I tell Connor that I just have to go upstairs while he goes down. hoping that he won't worry.  I try my best to get to class, but I'm still 6 minutes late.  This, of course, has to be my strictest teacher whose favorite phrase is, To be early is to be on time.  To be on time is to be late, and to be late is to be dead.  The best part however, is that it started down pouring as soon as I got outside.  I don't have an umbrella.  I get to his classroom, standing in the door way, and he stares at me.  My makeup has run down my face, I'm drenched, my hair is probably frizzy, and I feel utterly pathetic, not to mention that my shoe makes a funny sound when I walk on it.  

"Detention," he says, motioning to a seat at the front of the room.  I know what he means.  Now I get to come to his room at the end of the day for an hour of doing nothing.  I use the study hall I have next period to go to the bathroom and clean up.  I wipe off my drippy make up and smooth my hair tying it up.  Then I get back to class.

At the end of the day, I know that I have a detention, but I sneak up to the dance studio where most of my friends are chatting before they practice.  I still can't dance because of the boot, but I haven't been able to talk to any of them all day.  When I walk through the door, they all smile broadly, running to hug me.  This seriously brightens my day.  Until I ask about how they've been performing.  I find out that they replaced me the day after I left with a girl from the high school two streets over.  They can't put me back as captain even when the boot gets taken off.  Plus, if I want to even be on the team anymore, I have to try out.  They all give me this pout and look of sympathy before going off to practice.  I even have to give back my captain's uniform.  Tears run down my face as I leave the studio to go back into the rain to go to detention.  

When I finally escape, I try to use my phone to call my mom to get a ride home.  Instead, I find that it must have gotten soaked in my bag, because it won't turn on.  I trudge home, crying all the way there.  To make matters worse, I can't get inside because I forgot my key.  I sit on the fron step, in the rain, just crying and screaming at the sky.