Little women

"Honey, I'm home!" Aisha sang happily as she entered her two bedroom apartment. She switched on the standing lamp close to the door then threw her jacket at an ottoman nearby. She threw her head backwards then sighed tiredly. "Oh! I forgot I'm not married"

Aisha threw her coat on a handbag and walked into the kitchen while removing the headband holding her big thick curly hair.

She did a spin inside the kitchen like an actress on a Broadway musical accept this time she was in a small kitchen. Though, Aisha saw herself dancing under the rain. Her toes wiggled to absorb the fresh air when she took her shoes off. She searched the kitchen for something to eat like a cop searching a civilian's car for any illegal items.

The cupboard where foodstuff was kept was empty except for a small pack of cornflakes. The refrigerator was filled bottles of water and chocolate bars. Aisha mopped like a six year old because she was hungry and she wanted to eat something heavy. Chocolate bars or cereal wasn't an option for dinner.

By the way, where is Sonja? Aisha thought to herself. "Sonja!" She cried softly.

Aisha's pet golden retriever, Sonja matched into the kitchen and walked in circles around Aisha because he was happy to see her.

Aisha smiled then bent and patted Sonja's head. "Fatima must have left you home alone. Well, mama's back from work, alright"

Sonja gave a tiny bark as Aisha lifted him from the floor and went to the bedroom. The bedroom was untidy as usual thanks to Fatima.

Aisha was relieved when she finally took off her bra. It was like the weight of the world was finally taken off her shoulders and she could finally be a free bird again. She didn't let Sonja into the bathtub with her when she wanted to bath.

Sonja played on the bathroom floor and rolled on his sides. He rubbed his face with his paws when Aisha sprinkled water on him.

Aisha buried her head inside the water and closed her eyes. This was a form of therapy for her. When she did this, she became more calm and at peace with herself. She thought of Ma Kesem, Fatima, her mother, hunger, the feeling of loneliness and then she remembered she had to defend a case tomorrow for one of her clients, Mr. Patrick. He had sued Mr. Stephen over alleged bankruptcy in his business. She suddenly remembered falling down in the puddle of water when she ran inside the dark tunnel years ago when she was a kid. She raised her head out of the water and panted heavily like someone that just escaped a running cheetah.

Fatima clapped a little as she stood by the door of the bathroom. She wore a yellow hoodie and black joggers. She wasn't wearing any makeup to compliment her hair.

Aisha turned her head and stared at Fatima. "When did you come inside?" She asked.

"Just now" Fatima replied. Her arms were folded on her chest while she held her phone in her hand carelessly. Over the years, she became more plump and outgoing. In fact, she accepted being called a millennial by Hadeza. Ever since Ma Kesem travelled to Tokyo she had become restless and open like a tiger that had escaped from it cage. Sonja scratched her lower legs with his paws but she ignored him.

"Where went you by this time of the night? I don't like it when you come home late by this time" Aisha said in a worried state.

Fatima was irritated. "Now you're beginning to sound like Ma Kesem" She breathed out.

Aisha looked at Fatima with a grumpy face. She was just watching out for Fatima as elder sister. "Do you remember what happened to me some years back when I went out late by this time of the night? Have you forgotten all of sudden, Fatima? The streets aren't safe no more!" She cried.