a true friend (oneshot)

yo, kiwi here again! i really don't want to rewrite a comic i already drew so hErE read it for context and whatnot

here's the link to it on instagram if the quality is bad:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Brx123pHu81/?igshid=1l89uvpbx1gna

ok end of the author's note let's get to the juicy stuff (also btw this is taking place when lemon and orange are little kiddos)

*
*
*

"What's wrong, Lemon?" a child teased, throwing a rock against his arm. "Not gonna use your superpowers to stop us?" He emphasized the word "superpowers" in a cruel way.

The rock bounced harmlessly against Lemon's arm. It didn't hurt, but the message it carried did.

"Don't provoke him," another kid jeered, poking his friend. "He might shock you, remember?"

The two bullies laughed and walked away, leaving Lemon standing, alone. Behind him, Orange carefully walked up to the blonde-haired boy and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey, Lemon...?"

"It's okay, Orange. They don't know anything."

Worriedly glancing at her friend's face, Orange took a small breath and asked, "Do... you want to play in the park with me today?"

"Sorry, Orange," Lemon answered regretfully, pulling a Rubik's cube-like object from his pocket. "I should really learn how to solve this. It would be better for everyone else."

Orange perked up at the sight of the cube.

"Why would you need to solve that?"

"Well, you see, the scientists created this thing for me that controls my power as long as I'm focused on using it. But I never got how to solve this thing, so I don't really play with it."

Plucking the scrambled cube from Lemon's hand, she flicked a couple sides around until the tiles' colors were matching again. She dropped the solved cube back in Lemon's hand with a smile.

"I can teach you how to solve it!" Orange offered. "Oh, and also, I have a friend who might be able to upgrade that cube for you!"

Gawking at how fast Orange solved his cube, Lemon turned to her.

"R-really?" he asked, amazed, turning the cube around over and over again.

"Mhm! Meet me in front of the park after school, and I'll introduce you to him!"

And with that, the bell rung, signaling the end of recess.

"Seeya, Lem!" Orange waved as she ran off to her classroom.

Smiling, Lemon dropped the cube in his pocket and walked off to his as well.