Chapter 7

The next day, I sat down in English class and nearly fell asleep during the lecture. I found myself struggling to keep my eyes open. I would start looking at something and then it would slowly fade out. ‘How can someone be so boring and bland? Isn’t poetry supposed to have meaning or something? ‘was the main thought in my head during the entire class.

“We should count how many times Mrs. Umber says ‘like’ in five minutes,” Billy said next to me. Billy was the drug dealer for the entire school, so naturally we became close when I used to smoke pot. He would give me free weed if I let him touch my boobs back in middle school, so it was totally worth it.

“Get your phone out,” I whispered to him. During this class he had also been moved to the back for talking too much. He started his phone and I started making dashes on my paper. “Who knew you could use ‘like’ three times in one sentence?” Billy chuckled and nodded.

At the end of 5 minutes, Mrs. Umber had said ‘like’ approximately 63 times, which is absolutely insane. Maybe she was a valley girl from California when she was younger, who knew. She had the fading blonde hair so anything was possible.

“Ava, can I see you at the end of class, please?” Mrs. Umber said just before the bell rang. Shit. What did I do now? She probably heard me counting her likes or maybe saw me falling asleep or maybe both.

“Ooh, someone’s in trouble,” Billy said under his breath, that f.ucker.

“I am not,” I punched him in the side as the bell rang. I walked up to Mrs. Umber and smiled. “You wanted to see me?”

“Yes,” She smiled at me and sat down in her chair. “You are currently failing this class with a 37.2 grade.”

What?! How could I be failing the easiest damn class ever? I was sure that this was the only class I was failing but I guess Mrs. Umber had been deceiving me this entire time.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t understand poetry and my writing is not too good,” I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. This was just embarrassing. I was glad that the bell had rung and nobody else in the class was hearing this.

“I’m afterschool if you ever need help,” She smiled. “But we have a month or so until the term ends, so I’ll give you a chance. If you can fix all of the essays I gave back to you, as in, fix everything that I marked, I can raise your grade to a 55. If you can do all of the homework over, I can make it a 65. If you redo your poetry analyzation, I could try to bump it up to a 70.” I sighed. It sounded like a lot of work, but I was extremely grateful. “I know it sounds like a lot of work, but you have a month. So do you want to do this? Let me remind you that you need to pass to graduate.”

Surprisingly, she barely said ‘like’ in her little speech. She must say ‘like’ when she gets nervous. I grit my teeth as I listened to her speak. I didn’t want to waste any f.ucking time doing damn schoolwork. I hated school and I just wanted to get out of it as much as possible. I was debating on whether I should drop out or not.

I was pissed beyond reason. That f.ucking bitch.

“I would love to,” I smiled at her. An absolutely fake smiled. “Thank you so much, Mrs. Umber. I’m so grateful for you letting me do this.”

“No problem, Ava,” She smiled. “So how about you give me all of the homework on Monday?”

“Sounds great!” I smiled and turned out. All of the homework. All of it. Did she think I didn’t have a social life? Did she want me to do nothing this entire weekend? What the f.uck is her problem? Just because she doesn’t have a life doesn’t mean she can ruin mine.