Chapter Two ~ Manhattan Mall

Me and my friends always met up at the Manhattan mall, it was sort of our place. All the shop owners knew us, and we were constantly getting free ice cream from the 'Kream King', a place where Valerie's boyfriend, Luke Summers worked. Today me, Valerie, and Kat, were hanging out and eating ice cream while we waited for Alexis. I was about to call her cell phone, when Alexis came gliding in, looking very smug about something.

"Okay, what have you done?" I asked, waiting for her to admit to having eaten three chocolate fudge bars and still only weigh 116.5 pounds. When Alexis did something none of us had expected.

She sat down and said, "I entered all of us in the contest at 'Everything Nice'." Dead silence followed her words.

Finally I spoke up, "Haha! Very funny Alexis! That's a good one! You mean you entered Val, Kat, and yourself." Valerie and Kat laughed nervously along.

"Only I'm not joking." Alexis stated flatly, "I really did enter all of us in that contest, even you. But don't worry, if you do win I'll go in your place, and I can take Val or Kat."

"Actually Alexis, the winner has to accept her prize. Once you enter, you can't back out." Valerie said, wiping the smug look off Alexis's face.

"Oh, I...well, like you said, Diana, what are the odds of one of us winning?" She twisted her thumb nervously, and forced a nervous smile.

"Sure, now your thinking logically because you know I'm going to kill you."

"You'll only kill me if you win, which I can promise you, won't be happening." Alexis said with a little bit of her old bravado,

"Umm, Alexis? I wouldn't make promises you can't keep." Kat said cautiously,

"Yeah Alexis, I have to agree with Kat on this one." Valerie agreed.

"I'm out of here, see you guys at school." I said, annoyed with Alexis for going behind my back. I left the Kream King and started home.

I was the only 16 year old girl in my school, and possibly the world, who didn't have a car, boyfriend, or parents. I reached the door to my foster parent's house, the seventeenth set of foster parents I'd had in my life.

"Aunt Georgia! I'm home!" Mr. and Mrs. Swan had insisted that I call them 'Aunt Georgia' and 'Uncle Paul'.

"Hello dear!" 'Aunt Georgia' said cheerily, "Get yourself a cookie darling, I just made them, chocolate oatmeal, your favorite!"

"Thanks Aunt Georgia! Where's Uncle Paul?" I asked, grabbing two cookies from the tray,

"In his study dear, could you bring him his vitamins and a glass of water, please?" Aunt Georgia asked kindly,

"Sure, thanks for the cookies!" I walked through the house; it was an old Victorian style building with lots of stairs and winding hallways, and knocked on the giant wooden door to the study,

"Come in." Uncle Paul said in an old, but energetic voice that only he had. I opened the door and walked inside, "Well, hello Diana! How was work today?" Uncle Paul asked. He genuinely cared about me; he loved me like a daughter, and treated me like a princess.

"It went well. Kat and Valerie came by and told us all the latest news." I rolled my eyes playfully,

Uncle Paul laughed. "That's nice, oh, you brought my vitamins. Thank you dear."

"Your welcome," I handed the pills to him, "Uncle Paul? Do you think that maybe you could give me a ride to school?" Uncle Paul had the coolest 1945 roadster I had ever seen; sometimes he would give me a ride if my grades were pretty high.

"I suppose so." Uncle Paul said thoughtfully,

"Oh thank you Uncle Paul! Thank you so much!" I ran over and gave him a hug.

"Your welcome dear, now you better get your stuff ready for school tomorrow, we'll leave at six forty." I nodded my head and left the room, closing the doors behind me. I scampered up the stairs to my room, opened the door, turned on some music and started to work on my summer assignments.