Chapter 20: See You Soon

Nunnally awoke late the next morning. It had been hard to sleep after the conversation with Hiei, or lack there of. After confessing to sympathizing with Bartholomew, they didn't talk to each other the rest of the night. She felt exhausted then and now, both physically and mentally. The only thing that really got her up was a knock at her door.

"Nunnally," it was Jamie.

"Yeah?" She sat up.

He opened the door part way, smiling at her as he remained in the hallway, "I was just coming to wake you. Breakfast is on the table if you're hungry."

She was. "Ok, I'll be down in a little bit."

Jamie left the door open and disappeared. His footsteps could be heard going downstairs.

Nunnally climbed out of bed and an itching and stinging spread across her body. She had forgotten the downside to tattoos; the healing. However, the sensation was not as uncomfortable as she remembered. The pieces on her back and stomach didn't bother her in the least. She still needed to apply her ointment anyway though she knew it really didn't do much other than relieve her discomfort. Despite a valiant effort, she failed to reach them all.

In the end she gave up and pulled on her button down. On her way out the door she ran right into Hiei, nearly knocking them both to the ground.

"Oh, um, hi. Uh, sorry." For some reason she couldn't form a coherent sentence.

"Clumsy," he grunted and stepped around her.

She watched him start to head down the stairs but she stopped him. "Could you help me with something?"

He raised an eyebrow, his head tilting to the side slightly. "Your poise?"

Like she expected anything less from him. "I can't reach," she held up the tin.  

"Consult Hisano on the matter," he took another step down the stairs.

"But Hisano isn't here. Please?" Finding Hisano would mean going out of her way.

He rolled his eyes. "Fine."

Nunnally made her way back to her room and pulled her shirt off her shoulders. She was slightly nervous as per usual. Hiei stood behind her. He opened the tin and dipped a finger in it.

"It's slimier than I expected," he mused.

"It's just ointment."

"Hmph, it's just a waste of time. What even possessed you to even get this done? You made it sound as if it weren't possible. However, it seems you were just a coward."

His fingers grazed her back. She barely felt the coolness of the ointment but it gave her goose bumps anyhow. The pressure from his hand hurt in a good way. She felt less nervous.

"I guess I didn't want to be useless anymore."

"Wishful thinking. So why a dragon?"

"That was Hisano's doing. She suggested a few things that could bend and flow around the scars. Dragon tattoos also symbolize wisdom and strength. You'd know that if you had a real one."

"Hm." He wasn't amused. 

Nunnally ignored his attitude though. Like before, the longer she stood there the less it bothered her. Even their encounter the night before bothered her less. In fact, she was enjoying his touch despite it all. She was almost enjoying it too much for when he reached a more sensitive area she jumped.

"What?"

"It hurt a little. You hit a tender spot."

"Can you feel much? The damage to your nerves must be extensive."