Chapter 7: Revealing Secrets

9:45 PM: Nunnally sat on her couch. She had expected Hiei to be early. Was he waiting till the last minute just to drive her crazy? Probaly not, he doesn't think that much of her to do that. Or does he? She knew she was pushing it earlier by egging him on but would he behave so childishly? She slumped down with a sigh.

9:50 PM: Nunnally paced around her bed, tidying up as she went. She picked up dirty clothes, scattered books and magazines, and tossed a used cup in the sink. Eventually she collapsed on the raised wooden platform she considered the edge of her bedroom and looked out across the rest of her apartment. What kind of hell is this?

9:55 PM: "Maybe this would look good here." Nunnally had resorted to rearranging her living room. She pushed the couch to the opposite side of the rug and put both arm chairs together in front of the room divider. "Nah." She moved them back.

9:59 PM: There was a knock at the door. About freakin' time. Nunnally went to open it but changed her mind. She went to the kitchen and pulled down a wine glass. He played games, she was going to play back.

"I know you can open it on your own." She called, grabbing a bottle of wine off a small rack.

She didn't hear anything for a moment. Suddenly, she heard the deadbolt turn then the chain latch fall. The door opened and Hiei walked in. He was wearing a black shirt, pants, and his boots; classic.

"Telekinesis is so handy. You're fashionably early by the way." She hoped he could sense her sarcasm. "Care for a drink?"

"No."

"Suit yourself." Nunnally grabbed her glass and bottle then sat down on the couch. Hiei just stood there. "You weren't raised in a barn, shut the door and have a seat."

Hiei wasn't amused as he shut the door and took a seat in the closest chair. He sat back in a casual yet intimidating manner. Though his stature was small, he had the presence of a much larger man. She must have paled in comparison. Though she was only a few inches taller, she felt much smaller than him.

"So," She took a sip of wine. "You have free reign to ask questions."

Hiei's eyes narrowed. "I'll refer to my first question; what are you?"

"I'm a girl, obviously. Like Koenma said and as you've seen I'm an enchantress. According to the Western Zodiac I'm also a Libra." She sipped her wine with a grin.

His jaw line tightened. "Don't play coy. I have no time for juvenile games."

"It's not like you don't already know..." Nunnally's voice trailed off. Then she looked at him curiously. "Or do you? It seems like you have a pretty secure grasp but do you doubt yourself?"

Hiei sneered. "Hardly, I deduced it pretty quickly. It was almost as if you weren't even trying to hide it."

Nunnally took a sharp breath. "I'm just glad I didn't imagine you in my head. I'll make a deal with you before we go any further. I'll tell you anything you want to know as long as I get the opportunity to ask you questions. Not in one sitting but over time, as we solve this case."

There was little expression on Hiei's face. "What purpose does that serve? You've been poking around in my affairs for far too long. What information can I offer that you don't already have?"

"The personal kind. Sure I can snoop through files and ask your friends questions but that only gives me a view of the surface. I want an internal look. I'm not expecting you to confess anything to me like I'm your diary but a few words would be sufficient."

"And if I don't oblige?"

"Then alert the presses that I have secrets." Nunnally waited for a response. He simply nodded.