Chapter 9: Papa

There was a firm knock at the door. Hiei paid mild attention to Nunnally as she got up to answer it. His concentration was focused on the contents of her dreams. While spying on her personal thoughts wasn't completely beyond him he knew he had to be careful. There was an obvious twinge in her expression the first time he had used his telepathy on her; like it was agonizing to her. He had noticed it again as he explored her unconscious thoughts. That was bizarre but so were her memories.

Unexpectedly Nunnally cried out, "Papa!?"

Hiei was on his feet, puzzled. Papa? But he watched Nunnally throw herself at the figure that stood at the threshold of her door. It was then that he realized her exclamation wasn't out of fear but surprise and happiness.

"It's good to see you baby girl." The man hugged her tightly, a loving embrace. He kissed her head and buried his face in her hair. He was fairly young in appearance and tall. He had that same dark red hair. His eyes were pale gray but the resemblance was uncanny.

Nunnally pulled away and stepped aside so he could enter. She looked cheerful. "I wasn't expecting to see you."

"I got your letter; I thought I'd respond in person." He looked around and his eyes fell on Hiei. His expression shifted slightly.

Nunnally was aware of the sudden atmosphere change. "Hiei, this is my uncle, Jamie. Jamie, this is Hiei."

"Hello," his eyes shifted between them, "Is this your...?" His question was obvious but completely off base.

"No." Hiei and Nunnally spoke in unison.

"Okay, my mistake. Don't get defensive." Jamie's expression softened for a moment but was serious once again. "To get to the point, I'm curious about what you were asking in your letter."

"Oh yeah." Nunnally bit her lip. "It was pretty vague, wasn't it?"

"To say the least." Jamie was looking around to see where to sit.

"We can talk in here." Nunnally lead the way into the kitchen where she sat at the counter.

Hiei stood idly in the living room, unsure of what to do. Rarely did he feel like an imposition in the company of others but her uncle's unexpected visit stirred up unfamiliar anxiety. He found the feeling odd and unexpected. Then Nunnally beckoned him to join them; that took him aback but he did so casually.

Nunnally's nervousness was apparent as she struggled to begin. Her uncle waited patiently for the story. She offered him a beverage but he politely declined, slightly delighted in his niece's awkwardness. However, the importance of the situation never left him.

"Your letter was quite concerning. Please, tell me what's going on."

She sighed. "You know I tell you about all the things that happen here but this one's harder to talk about."

"I have time."

"Um," She looked to Hiei for help. He sat back in similar fashion to her uncle, unintentionally of course. "Recently there have been quite a few murders occurring in the area."

"Murders? Homicide isn't rare. You mentioned something about the condition of the bodies."

"Well we were originally enlisted to check out a group of demons that have been killing and dismembering young human girls but then other bodies started turning up."

Hiei watched Jamie's brow furrow. He had seen that expression on Nunnally's face many times in the past week. "Killing humans has become a serious crime and I don't like the sound of such circumstances befalling young women but I don't believe these were the bodies you were referring to." He seemed to be an expert in reading her body language.