Flashbacks

Alex's POV:

I've been living with Jefferson for around 3 months now. It's been almost 2 months since that pesky kissing business. We've only spoken about it once, when I told him it didn't mean anything and that I didn't like him because he was a dickhead. I've since realized that that was only partly true. He is a dickhead. And I don't like him. Unfortunately... I think I'm falling for him.

This is the worst possible thing that could actually happen. Yeah, I know we're soulmates, and yeah, that means we're perfect for each other, but I hated him. Loathed him. I don't hate him anymore but I don't like him either... he's a pretentious dickhead. Albeit a hot, surprisingly caring, dickhead. He makes sure I eat at least twice a day and talks during storms so I have something to focus on. He hasn't even asked questions about why I freak out whenever there's a storm.

It's raining while we get ready for work, and Jefferson warmed me last night that we're probably going to have a storm today. Please no. Not during the day. We need to go to work. I can't be caught in a storm. I'm in the bathroom dressing, listening to the relentless downpour. There's a rumble of thunder and I jump, involuntarily whimpering.

"Well shit," comes a voice from outside the bathroom. "There goes work." It's Jefferson. He's mad that he can't get to work. It's storming too badly. I hear thunder again and the small window in the bathroom flashes from lightning. "Alexander," Jefferson calls, knocking on the door. "Get out of the bathroom."

Sympathy level? None. At least he's not telling me to get over. Another round of thunder summons a flashback to the island. I was fleeing the flood waters, I made it to the top of a large hill. I heard a scream pierce through the chaos. It was a young boy, trapped on top of a car, the water rushing at his feet. A board hit him and he fell into the water. I only saw his head bob up once before he stopped struggling.

I pull my shirt on and the gigantic sweatshirt I hadn't been sure I was going to wear. I leave the bathroom, muttering under my breath. "It's over. It's gone. I'm in New York. This isn't Nevis. I'm safe. I'm in Jefferson's penthouse. It's fine. I'm fine." I can feel Jefferson's confused stare as I sit down on my futon-bed, covering my ears to try and drown out the storm.

I hear a sigh and glance up, tears staining my face. "I'm going to call Mr. Washington and tell him we're not coming in today", Jefferson drawls, pulling out his phone. I nod, hiding my face again. To my surprise, I feel the futon sink next to me. I peek over and see Jefferson sitting there, perched on the edge pompously. What's he gonna do?