3. The Underground

Jin wasn't entirely sure what drew him to agree, but there he stood the next morning at the base of the cottage with his cooking pot in the rucksack on his back, and hunting knife on his belt.

The door opened to reveal Namjoon in a chainmail vest, combat boots, large shield, and with a longsword on his hip. Jungkook was standing behind him in his usual white oversized peasant shirt, blue trousers, and short brown boots.

"Thanks for joining us, Jin. This is going to be a really difficult journey. Are you sure you're ready?"

Jin puffed out his chest. "Don't I look ready? With a face like this, I'll send all the bad guys running... Not because I'm ugly! Because I look good! So handsome, it, umm, they get all jealous and lose hope! Yeah!"

Namjoon blinked. Jungkook just stared.

After an excruciatingly long pause, Namjoon cleared his throat. "Right. The first stop is underground. I know the way around, so stick close and hopefully we won't have to put up a fight if all goes well."

Jin and Jungkook followed him to a seemingly ordinary road leading off the town square, but then ducked into an alleyway so narrow, Jin would've walked right past it. Underneath an empty crate on the ground was a trapdoor, which Namjoon maneuvered with ease, leading the two down the ladder.

The space underground was not as smelly or dingy as Jin feared. Sure, it was dark, but a good amount of young people seemed to make their living down here. A group of men sharpened swords nearby the secret entrance, while merchants peddled likely contraband weapons and armor.

"I used to come down here all the time," Namjoon remarked conversationally as he strolled through the dark while the two others gaped and gawked at the surroundings. "That's how I know he's down here. But be careful, because he's really strong and can burn you —"

"Only if I feel like it."

The voice came from a shadowy corner, where a pale figure sat on a rusty barrel. "Whatever you guys are selling, I'm not interested."

Namjoon smiled brightly in contrast to the cold greeting. "Ah, hello Yoongi. I've heard that you're really powerful. Do you want to join us on a journey?"

They heard a small scoff. "What's in it for me?"

"Potentially, a lot. Will you come with us?"

"Hmph, what a hassle..." The young man made a show of laying down on his barrel as if he was going to sleep.

Namjoon sighed, though without a hint of defeat. "Then I guess I am the better fighter after all..."

Hearing this, Yoongi perked up and walked toward them, stepping into the faint light. He had silver hair and was dressed in a black robe with black pants and boots. "Tsk. Then I'll prove you wrong, and that's it."

◕ ◕ ◕