4. Through Fire and Water

The two stood facing each other on the edge of a forest. Jungkook looked apprehensive but his curious round eyes were fixed on Yoongi. Jin stood a good distance away and decided to take this opportunity to gauge the abilities of his peers.

Namjoon unsheathed his sword first. Yoongi immediately noticed and took a deep breath. Then he unleashed fire on Namjoon.

Jungkook's eyes opened wide as dinner plates and Jin yelped in alarm. As burning flames spewed from Yoongi's mouth, he shouted, "Join you? Why would I do that? I can make a name for myself down there and be known for my ability. Not just being another forgettable member of a party!"

The fire cleared, revealing Namjoon crouched behind his shield. He then rose, and replied, "If you stay down there, you could be scrounging for scraps for the rest of your life... or you can be up here, where the real loot is."

Once again, fire rained from Yoongi's mouth as Namjoon ducked. "What do you know about my life down there? You just want to use adventuring to get rich, without talent?"

"I know because I've lived down there for a long time, too... but if we join together and create an unstoppable team, we will have opportunities to fight much more than before! It's not just about the loot. Think of how much bigger the monsters will be, how much more we can improve individually and as a team."

Yoongi did not answer, catching his breath.

Namjoon continued, "Once you show yourself to the world with us, your true talent will undoubtedly shine through. I believe, by teaming up, we can support each other in our mutual goals, and get stronger together!"

Yoongi stood quietly still as flames crackled around him. "To become stronger..."

"Yes," Namjoon assured him, "I'm doing this for both of us. To become stronger and achieve our goals."

Yoongi nodded, a small motion hardly conceivable to the eye. "If that is what it takes to become stronger, and achieve our goals... I will join you."

As the trees around them burned, Namjoon smiled and ran up to Yoongi, clapping him on the back. "Welcome to the team. This is Bunny, who's training under me."

"I'm Jungkook..."

"And this is Jin, who I just met but is talented and looks really strong."

Jin let out an exasperated sigh. "That's all great, but we need to do something about this fire!"

Namjoon nodded knowingly. "That's why I said we'll go through water..."

Jin chuckled. "Speaking of, do you know how they make holy water? You boil the hell out of it."

As he laughed alone, a rustling could be heard behind them, then a torrent of water burst through, soaking the burning trees. At this moment, a boy with black hair and a baggy grey tunic entered.

"Hyungs, you should know better. Please be more careful in the forest."

Namjoon looked delighted to see the newcomer. "So you're Jimin! The one with the water. I've heard —"

But Jimin ignored him, rushing off to Jungkook's side. "You're burnt! Here..."

A minor burn developed on Jungkook's forearm during the battle. Jungkook tugged on his sleeve to hide it, but Jimin clasped his hands around his arm. The spot glowed blue for a moment, then healed instantaneously. Jungkook gasped a little, poking his wound with wide eyes.

Jimin then turned to Namjoon. "Please let me protect this one!"

Namjoon responded, "Well, you have unique abilities we could really use. And your power with water is unmatched. It'd be an honor. Though," Namjoon addressed all four of the boys now, "next, we need to find the boss. He's like in a cave somewhere..." He waved his hand as if that was the most normal place to be. "Okay, there's a man in the city that's rumored to know many people. Let's go find him first."

◕ ◕ ◕