CHAPTER 2

This Chapter is for Kashariak because you've really boosted my confidence in writing so I decided to edit it as best I could, hope you enjoy x

You probably have already but if not, go check out 'Unconditional' by kashariak... it's amazing.

(Mandy is loosely based off Amanda)

This particular side of the city was quiet and dull. It had been an old mining town, being positioned on the outskirts Newcastle, and as usually happened when old mines played out, the town had begun to die a slow death. Before it was completely gone, however, the city fathers hit on a plan to change the focus of the town and bring in a new industry: Corrections. Not the big money for a super max facility, but enough that they could keep the town alive. The plan succeeded. Some of the old buildings were largely remodeled into the minimum-security facilities, and the medium security wing had been built several years later from the money brought in from the government. The infrastructure was quickly resurrected to service the small army of people who came to work there and support their new money crop.

A small, kinda classic homely pub stood out amongst the run down closed shops and Dec actually didn't mind the look of the place, the warm submersion of the light onto the dim pavement let off a welcoming feel that didn't seem present anywhere else in the quiet town.

David led the small Geordie through the mid-week crowd to the roughly carved bar. Leaning his elbows on it he called out, "Mandy! My darling, we are in need of liquid refreshment!"

"David, you son of a bitch! Where the hell have you been?" Mandy smiled. Her eyes fell on Declan who was stood awkwardly biting his lip and they instantly lit up. "Who's your new friend and where have you been hiding him 'til now?"

"Down girl," David replied as Dec blushed. "This is Declan Donnelly, the new Maths teacher up at the Institute. He just got here and doesn't know enough to stay away from you. Give me one of those homebrews you cook up here before you start undressing him with your eyes, would you?"

Mandy grinned at him. "Too late!" Setting a tall pilsner filled with a dark, aromatic brew on the bar she turned back to Dec. "Hey cute, shy and gorgeous. I get off at 2:00. I could get you off by about 3:00..." she offered looking him up and down, smiling in invitation.

Dec flushed even harder, red to the collar of his shirt. "Um, actually," he indicating David's beer, "if you could get me one of those, that would be great."

Mandy barked a laugh. "I like him!" Pulling another pilsner from the rack she filled it and set it in front of him, waiving him off when he reached for his wallet. "First one's on the house doll," she said.

"You never gave me one on the house when I got here," David complained, handing over his money.

"Yeah I did, it just wasn't a beer," she snarked back.

"Hmph," David grumped. "Come on Dec let's go grab a table."

"I'd like to grab some of that," Mandy said, just loud enough for Dec to hear as he turned to follow. He glanced back and Mandy waggled her eyebrows at him and licked her lips, smiling a shark's smile. He returned it weakly, blinked a couple of times and quickly turned to follow David to a small table in the back of the room.

David spent the next hour trying to pry Dec's background, politics, most embarrassing secrets and sexual orientation out of him. Dec eluded him easily when he chose to, and they both enjoyed the sparring. Eventually they fell to kicking ideas around for the new curriculum for the extra class they'd been assigned, with Dec absolutely sure this was a bad idea. He'd minored in drama, but explained to David that he only ever once gotten on the stage and that had been a complete disaster. He wasn't sure he wanted to ever try it again.