The curse and the blessing

I wake up the next day to find myself laying on the bed, my face buried in the pillow.

Utterly confused I sit up and try to remember when I went to bed, but all I can remember is blacking out on the floor.

A cold breeze hits me and shivers run throughout my body from the cold. Holy hell it is freezing in here.

I stand up, still slightly groggy from my sleep but I notice that my shirt is slightly ripped at the seams down each side and that my trousers are slightly torn too.

It must have happened during my moment of rage last night.

I walk into the other room noticing that the front door is open.

That explains why it is so cold but I am still baffled as to why it is open.

The wind maybe?

Or someone has been in here, but given the current state of the room from last night I doubt they decided to venture too far.

I walk over to the door, standing over broken bottles, the fragments of small ornaments that decorated the room, my arrows scattered all over the place.

I pick up one of the chairs and proceed to close the door.

I best make a start on tidying up my mess.

After picking up a few things I decide to have a bath instead, I feel grimy and I am sure it will help calm me down.

To get to the bathroom I had to go back through my room.

The room holds a large silver bath with feet that resemble dog feet in the far right corner, a toiley to the left and a small wooden cabinet at the right of the door.

The two windows on the back and left wall makes the room look bright.

I fill up the bath and look into the cabinet to find some towels, soft and bright white.

Turning off the cold tap I turn the hot one to the maximum.

Thanks to my grandmother heat does not bother me. My grandmother had a talent, what others would call a power but elves called a talent.

She was a sorcerer, the only one of her type in our village.

Sorcery practitioners like her were rare among forest elves, the most common type were the healers.

My grandmothers’ name was Ettln, which means magic, she used her magic for spells, charms and sometimes curses.

One day she was creating a curse for a customer, it backfired and the curse was cast onto her, thus giving her the ability to control and create fire.

Soon after she had a daughter, which is my mother but surprisingly the curse didn’t pass onto her, but it did pass onto me.

My parents told me that it was chaotic when I was very young as I was not able to control the talent and ended up setting fire to many things.

When I was 4 my mother and grandmother started to teach me how to control the talent, it was then that we discovered that I also had great trait from my mother, the ability to be at one with nature, which was also rare among even forest elves.

Seems that even though I possessed what many would consider curse from my grandmother, I was also blessed with something from my mother.

I stopped the water once it was a few inches from the top of the tub.

Slipped off my clothes and sunk myself into the water.

I sunk as far down as I could go without my face being submerged.

I don’t think it has sunk what has just happened, seeing Loki for the first time in 5 years. Walking with him made it feel like no time has passed but everything had changed.

Oh how I missed him, and Thor. I hoped I would get to see him again, along with Sif and the warriors three.

I also missed Frigga very much, she took me in after the attack on my village.

Took me in and treated me as one of her own.

Before I knew it the water had lost its heat and began to get cold, I was so busy reliving memories that I didn’t notice how long I was in the water for.

I pulled the plug and climbed out of the bath, pulling the towel around me as I did so.

Once in my room I quickly dried off and picked out some clothes. Another pair of pants and a light blue tunic.

My hair was nearly dry so I braided it to the side and let it hang over my left shoulder.

Just as I finished doing my hair I could hear the faint rustling of leaves outside.

I walked to the door and opened it quickly and noticed Loki stood with my horse.

He jumped slightly when I opened the door but smiled once he saw me and continued stroking the horse on its nose.

I walked back into my bedroom to get a jacket, seeing as it was quite cold out. Turning I noticed Loki was stood at the front door to the cabin, obviously peeking at the mess that was inside.

“You never were a tidy one” he grins over to me.

I look over at him with a deadpan expression before smirking.

We began to walk into the forest ahead of the cabin.

“I was going to come later but with what happened last night I wanted to make sure you were okay.”

I look over to him confused “why what happened?”

“Something was in one of the villages not far from here, started destroying it. One man got injured and said he saw the thing that did it…” I raised my eyebrows urging him to carry on.

“He said it was like a dog, the size of a tall man when it stood on its back legs.”

“Holy shit, has it been found?”

“No, He said it headed into the forest, that’s why I needed to know if you were okay.” He replied

“Oh, well I didn’t hear or see anything last night so I’m okay” I reassured him.

He nodded at me.

“I know where we can go” I said to change the subject and he looked at me expectantly.

“At Fog Mountain there is a small river near the Northern Waterfall, I’ve always wanted to go there but never had the time.” I looked at him eagerly.

“Let’s go then” he smiled.

I squealed excitedly and grabbed his hand to pull him along.