The Talk

Chapter 3

(The events of the prologue of Bittersweet are, in fact, supposed to be what happened after that lunch date that day for anyone curious. So if you wanted the epilogue could be counted as Chapter 2.5)

"Hey, look! It's the freak with two moms!" a boy snickered.

"I'm not a freak!" Jessica shouted angrily.

"Oh yeah? Then where's your dad?" he smirked.

"I don't have one." Jessica said hesitantly.

"See! Everyone knows a family needs a dad and one mom." he rolled his eyes.

"I don't care! I love my parents!" Jessica argued.

"What's going on here, Jessie?" Marcus ran towards his younger sister.

"Oh look! It's the freak's brother! That makes you a freak too, huh?" the boy laughed.

"Stop it, Quinten." Marcus growled, standing in front of his sister.

"Or what? You'll call your dad on me? Oh that's right, you don't have one!" Quinten howled with laughter.

"Excuse me, is there a problem here?" a tall, tan woman asked, lowering her sunglasses.

"Nothing, Coach." Marcus shook his head.

"Oh yeah?" her eyes darted to the other boy, who was quivering under her gaze.

"Y-Yeah, Mrs. Fritz. Just a little fight between pals, right?" Quinten said, to which Marcus nodded.

"Okay. But remember, they didn't call me 'Titan' in school for nothing." she smirked before turning to walk away.

"Well, whatever. I've wasted enough time with you creeps." Quinten scoffed, walking away towards his father's car.

"I'm sorry, Jessie... Did he hurt you?" Marcus asked, grabbing her gently by the shoulders.

"Boys are so mean! I'm never gonna marry a boy!" Jessica pouted.

Marcus chuckled, ruffling her shoulder length red hair.

"Okay, then. Are you gonna marry a girl?" Marcus joked.

"I guess? Or I'll just not get married ever." Jessica shrugged.

"Sounds like a good plan." Marcus nodded at his sister's response, suppressing a laugh.

"If ya do marry a girl, kid, remember to treat her right." Mrs. Fritz walked closer.

"Coach!" Marcus grinned.

"What do you mean, Mark's Coach?" Jessica asked.

"You guys have two moms, right?" she looked between the two, who nodded.

"Well, 'Jessie', if you like a girl, you have to be very nice to her. You need to make sure to make her smile. And if you do that, maybe she'll wanna marry you." Mrs. Fritz grinned.

"How do you know?" Jessica tilted her head.

"I'm also a girl who married a girl. My beautiful Christa. Well, you might know her as Miss Historia." the woman blushed at the mention of her lover.

"My history teacher?" Marcus said, astonished.

"Yeah. Who woulda thought, right? See ya at practice, kid. We got a game soon!" Mrs. Fritz waved.

"Ymir!" Miss Historia ran from the school steps, her dress flapping at her sides as she jumped into her wife's arms.

Marcus covered Jessica's eyes as the two kissed, but the small girl just pried his hand away and stared.