epilogue

A/N: To all my readers, THANK YOU! Without you, I never would have made it this far. I love you endlessly💕💕💕 Song for the *last* chapter is "Girl on Fire." Enjoy! 🔥

"This is insane!" I shriek.

"That might be the tallest building I've ever seen." Levi tilts his head back to stare at the enormous skyscraper. "Like, wow."

"That's One Dag Hammarskjold Plaza," my Uncle Duncan says. "Forty-nine floors."

I do a three-sixty, taking in the Manhattan scenery. The city is booming. The streets are crowded. Hundreds of thousands of people are gathered outside. I've been elbowed, stepped on, and shoved, yet I can't stop smiling.

Today is January 21st, 2017, and my family and I are participating in the first-ever Women's March.

My dad, my Uncle Duncan, Bowie, Levi, Alyx, and Griffin are with me. My Aunt Victoria and my cousins are somewhere in the herd of people. Mom wanted to come, but she chose to stay home and babysit the grandkids. Evangeline and Alyx's daughter, Clementine, wouldn't have been able to make the trip, never mind handle the chaos of New York City.

Griffin stands behind me and snakes his arms around my waist. We've been inseparable since last summer. I was in a bad place for a long time, but he's always been good to me. He's my rock. My family adores him, too. Dad thinks he's a "nice young man," Mom admires his intellect, Bowie appreciates the fact that he mellows me out, and Levi just likes to look at him.

"Everyone got their signs?" Dad asks.

I hold up my poster board. "Women's Rights are Human Rights" is written in dark purple sharpie. I couldn't think of a more unique slogan. Like me, Levi was unoriginal. He made one that says "Not My Body, Not My Business" in hot pink bubble letters. Bowie was the most creative. His sign is green with a printed photo of Princess Leia on it. The word "Resister" is scrawled at the top.

"Yours looks good, man," Griffin compliments him. "Better than Gemma's over here."

"Hey!" I smack his arm. "I tried, okay?"

"I did the green background in honor of Raelyn," Bowie explains. "You know, because her eyes were green."

"That's sweet," I reply. "She would have loved it."

Although no one has said it out loud, the reason we're here at the Women's March is to honor Raelyn. She was silenced, and it killed her. I want to live in a world where we can openly talk about such things, where we don't have to worry about being ridiculed, about not being taken seriously, about upsetting anyone else.

I want a better world for Evangeline and Clementine.

"I have to go make a speech," my uncle announces. He rolls his eyes like it's the last thing he wants to do today. "Have fun, guys. Be safe. I'll see you tonight for dinner, alright?"

We say goodbye to Senator Beaufort, hold up our posters, and get ready to march.

I glance at Alyx, who looks out of place. Like Levi, she grew up in a conservative household. When she told her parents she was flying to New York, they weren't thrilled. She almost backed out at the last minute, but I convinced her to come.

"You deserve a break from mommy duty. Besides, I really want you there. Please?" I fixed my lips in a pout until she changed her mind.

As my uncle's voice pierces the air, I flash Alyx a smile and slip my fingers through hers.

"Thanks," she whispers. The way she grins without showing her teeth reminds me of Raelyn. I used to resent her for being so similar to my late friend. Now I take comfort in it.

"You ready, sista?" I ask, giving her hand a squeeze.

"I'm ready," she says with a nod.

The six of us huddle together and begin to move forward.

THE END