nine: shrek; monster or cutie?

|close as strangers|

CHAPTER NINE:

“I asked if you would want to kiss me,” Jessica said.

“I heard that.”

She cleared her throat. “And? Would you?”

I leant on the counter and crossed my arms. “More importantly, would you want me to kiss you?”

Jess stood up and made her way over to me. “Honestly, I wouldn’t mind that… At all.” She leant in, and so did I. My eyes fluttered shut as I braced myself for the softness of her lips.

A gasp that wasn’t ours made both of us jump and Jess quickly stepped back.

“Good morning, Jessica,” said my mum.

“Morning, Miss, err, Violet.”

“Camille, dear, make us some tea will you?” mum said with a mischievous glint in her eyes, one I most certainly did not like.

“Actually,” I said, making mum turn back around. “Jessica and I are going to watch a film upstairs.”

“So you can’t make me a cuppa?” she asked.

I pointed towards the teapot on the table.

“Oh, okay. Enjoy your film, ladies, I’ll be right here, watching the news. Don’t worry, I’m old and a bit deaf so the volume will be up very loud, don’t hold back for me.”

I smacked my hand over my eyes and shook my head, praying that she didn’t just hint at that. Jessie’s warm hand peeled my hand of my face, and seconds later, I found myself admiring her smile. As ever.

“Your mum is very kind,” she said with a big, sexy smirk on her face.

“Oh, shut up.”

Jessica chortled and, still holding my hand, she started leading me out of the kitchen, towards my room. “So I brought a few films with me. I had hoped you would want to have a movie day with me and I brought all my favourite films. I hope you like romantic films?”

I didn’t reply and she just kept talking, a perfect compromise in my eyes. I loved listening to her voice, she could make anything sound beautiful.

“…So which one of those do you want watch first?” Jess asked as we walked into my room.

“I honestly couldn’t care less, you can pick one and I’ll watch it with you.”

She smiled and clapped her hands. “Okay, you make sure the bed’s ready and I’ll go get the film and snacks.”

“Snacks?” I said.

“Babe, have you heard anything I just told you? I brought my favourite candy with me for in the plane but I fell asleep so I didn’t really eat it, we can eat it now.”

“Oh, yeah,” I replied vaguely, but Jessie was content with that answer and she started digging around in a rucksack.

I sat on the bed and placed all the pillows upright, so the metal of my headboard wouldn’t press into our backs.

I laid down, my back resting on the pillows and Jessie placed the disk in my DVD/player. She then climbed onto the bed and laid herself down next to me, so that I could feel her breath stroke my face when she exhaled. I loved it.

She placed her left hand on my shoulder, and slowly trailed it down my arm, only to entwine our fingers. Jessie guided my hand to her waist. “You know, you still owe me a kiss,” she said huskily, endeavouring to sound enticing. She succeeded.