•Chapter 38•

Madi's POV

"What the hell", someone screams. I shoot up screaming and look at my team in shock.

I look at John and he looks back at me with an equally shocked face.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my players room", coach yells. I look at him confused. He doesn't know it's me.

"Coach", John says.

I look down.

"Wait a second, Matthew", Sidney says. I look up at him for the first time without the beard." Oh my god. You're a girl."

"Yeah", I say looking down. I push my long hair behind my ear.

"Wait so are you like a cross dresser or a transgender or something", Olli Maata asks.

"No you dingus. She was disguised as a guy", Evengi says slapping the back of his head.

My phone rings and I ignore it. It keeps ringing and I make no effort to answer it.

"Answer the damn phone", Coach growls. I nod and reach over and pick it up without looking who's calling.

"Hello", I say quietly.

"Hey Madi", Hayes yells. I rip the phone away from my ear and then bring it back.

"Hi", I say looking up at them. They all stare at me like I'm a mutant and I look back down.

"Hey are you feeling better you got hit pretty hard? You played awesome by the way. I'm so glad I got to come see it. Geez those are fun to watch. When can we come visit you again. Wait why am I asking? We always blitz surprise you. You know I really miss my sister", Hayes rambles.

"Hayes", I say stopping him." I'll call you back okay?"

"Why what's going on", he asks.

"Just, I'll explain it later. I'll probably see you sooner than you expect", I say sighing. I hang up before he can say anything else and look back up through my eyelashes.

"So is this some kind of joke to you? The NHL is a big deal and you, a girl might I add, are wrecking the integrity of the whole league", Coach Johnston yells.

I feel my throat getting tight and I push the blanket off, criss crossing my legs and placing my folded hands in my lap. I keep my eyes angled down. Honestly I don't want to see the disappointment on his face.

"Coach lay off. She's still the best player on the team", Evengi says. I don't look up, but I still hear a bunch of them agreeing.

"Look at me", he demands. I look up and his eyes soften when he sees my face. A tear falls down my face and he completely breaks." Ughh. I'm going to be completely out of character right here. You will continue on this team, but you will continue on as Matthew Hall not whatever your real name is." He finishes and seems proud of himself and then it hits him." Wait. What is it by the way?"

"Madi", I say.

"I have a sister named Madi", Rob says. I keep looking at coach and he smiles a little.

"Okay Madi", he says slowly." What's your last name?"

"Grier."

"And how old are you?"

"I sound like I'm getting interviewed", I say pulling my legs up to my chest excitedly. They all laugh and I smile." I'm 16."

All of their smiles vanish and their mouths drop open." Are you kidding", Sidney yells.

I shake my head no.

"How can a 16 year old girl be better than me", Marc says.

"Knock knock", voices yell pounding on the door. I gasp and they all look at me confused.