Chapter 10: Dark & Broody

Poppy ran back into the room. "You can't be serious! Those heroes and their essence belong to me! You can't just go around destroying my property! What makes Racheal more important than them anyways?" she asked, glaring at Gloomy.

Gloomy puts his hands over his chest and squeezes them.

"Boobs are overrated!" yelled Poppy.

"I don't think killing heroes is a good idea either," I said.

Gloomy slumped. "Just a few?" he asked.

Poppy stomped her foot down. "No! Racheal is going to die and that's that."

Gloomy wrapped around Poppy. "But you can stop it. This village is under your control. You could start an uprising, if you wanted to."

"Well I don't want to."

"Then your harem will shrink. One body a minute. Wonder how long you'll last," said Gloomy, moving his bladed tentacle like a clock hand.

"You do that and you'll regret it!" yelled Poppy, her feathers flaring up.

While these two are bickering, Racheal is getting closer to execution!

I ran out of the training shack and saw a line of heroes, all dressed in black.

The air around them was heavy.

"Which way to the execution grounds?" I asked, tugging on one of the hero's cloaks.

"This is the line. I'm going to spend my food coin to see it. Better be worth missing a meal," he said, his shoulder's slumped.

"Racheal is a member of your village! Don't you care that she's going to die?" I asked with a look of bewilderment.

"Well yeah. I don't want to miss it. She's like the top hero. If I didn't care why would I pay."

"Huh?"

"Racheal would want us to watch. It's a sign of respect. This isn't the first execution we've had here. Won't be the last." He sighed.

Even if I have to do it alone, I'm going to save her.

I ran to the front of the line.

A row of CatBoy soldiers blocked the path.

"Please, there's been some sort of mistake. Racheal is a good girl. She wouldn't do anything bad," I said, bobbing around in a panic.

"If you want to know what she did, then keep your mouth shut and listen," said a CatBoy.

Old Bat was on the stage and so was a naked person with a bag over their head.

Oh no! That must be Racheal! She must be so scared.

Old Bat amplified her voice out with the motion of her wrinkles. "This hero is responsible for stealing property from our great leader, Flam!"

Flam! He's a bad guy. Is Old Bat the Wood Primordial traitor that Old Fool mentioned? If so, then Rachie is super in trouble.

Racheal stood up tall. "I did what all of us should have done a long time ago! Those animals were being bred for death! They didn't have any hope and they didn't do anything wrong. I won't ask you to stop my execution, but what I ask from you, my fellow heroes, is to remember what I did! Remember that when we see someone in peril, it is our sworn duty to save them!"

"Racheal!" I cried out from the crowd.

She turned to face me, that dumb bag blocking her pretty face.

"Annie. It's okay. I'm not going to pretend I'm not terrified of dying. Peed myself a couple times just walking up the stage. And it sucks I'm dying a virgin, but hey I'm dying a hero, right? You inspired me to be who I really am! Don't let my death break you. Think of my bulged-out eyes, mouth with a bit of drool and oh geez! I'm getting excited now! Hey, when is the execution?"