Chapter 1

The city seemed to connect itself together in a blur as it passed by Jada's limo window. She wedged her elbow between the door handle and the door as she rested her chin on her palm, careful not to mess up her foundation though.

"Sit up, Jada" a mocha skinned woman with long neat locs, softly chastised the girl. Jada, wanting nothing more than to make her mothers tone change, continued to rest there for a few seconds before moving. She knew exactly what she was doing and she didn't care.

"Well, my neck hurts, am I supposed to suffer just because you want me to have proper posture?" A small quip eased off Jada's tongue and wafted to her mothers ears. Her mother, usually quick to respond and correct, decided to pretend she didn't hear. Instead, she hummed a tune as she shuffled through papers that were oozing in red ink. Jada pursed her glossed lips at the lack of response, before sitting back and smoothing the back of her puff.

Her mind began to wander as she absentmindedly fiddled with her leather backpack, plucking the soft leather fringe that was on the attached keychain. A new year, a time for new beginnings, or new rules. New people to talk to, and notice her... The mocha woman cleared her throat and Jada's eyes focused back on her.

"I don't want a repeat of last year, Miss Jada. It took a lot of money and influence, I called a lot of favors in, in order for this all to go away, and I can promise you that if it comes back.." the rest of her words seemed to be stopped by her tongue, but Jada understood. She shivered as the limo came to a smooth stop outside of Arendon Academy. The driver immediately exited the car to collect her baggage from the trunk, as Jada opened her mouth to respond, "Yes Mother, I understand."

Her mother reached across the limo and fluffed Jada's puff of curls and kissed her forehead. "I love you, Jada Rose, please be careful." They embraced for a moment before pulling away, Jada savored every moment knowing that soon her mother would forget she existed. The door nearest to her opened and she slid out the car into the early morning sunlight.

Her driver has already begun placing her marble suitcases and totes onto a cart, so she began walking inside. He didn't need her help, after all, it was his job. She breezes into the front doors, they were beautiful, and intricate but she didn't care about that. The real beauty, the real details, lay far beyond those two golden doors.

     ⚜️    ⚜️    ⚜️    ⚜️    

The office was a beige color, which wasn't very flattering in Anya's opinion. In fact, she's requested they'd change it multiple times, even had her dad offer to pay for it. She rolled her eyes, every year the same thing, ugly beige walls welcomed her into her hell, otherwise known as charity work. Anya ran her fingers through her box braided black hair and flipped them over to the side. They were freshly done and she had to keep moving them or else they'd never loosen enough to style.

"Anya, you can come back to see Mr. Eden now." The caramel skinned girl looked up and grabbed her miniature cream backpack before gliding behind the office doors. Yuck, more beige walls. She inwardly gagged as she walked her well-versed path to the principles office. Mr. Eden looked up from his papers as his door began to open.

"Anya, thank you for coming in so early." She scowled slightly at the use of her first name.

"No need to thank me, it's not like I had a choice, right, Kyle?" She tossed his first name around, two could play at that game.

Mr. Eden's white teeth glistened in the early sunlight, almost sinisterly as he gazed at Anya.

"Tread lightly," a warning rolled out from between his full lips. "I asked you to come in early this morning, because we are expecting a new student,"suddenly, Anya was interested. New blood.

"Jada Tomaras, a very bright girl, who seems to have been involved in some trouble at her last school. Needless to say, I want you to show her around today, give her a... Arendon Welcome" He trained his gray eyes on Anya purposefully, to be sure she understood his message.

"Of course, Mr. Eden" she said as she stood and smoothed her plaid skirt down. Eden noticed the movement and his eyes trailed down as Anya subtly recoiled from him. She knew what he was capable of.

"I'll see you later this evening, Miss Petrakis." His tongue darted out to moisten his pink lips as Anya turned and left the room, her ears hot and her head running a mile a minute.

New blood this year, maybe finally, their circle would be complete.

⚜️    ⚜️   ⚜️    ⚜️    ⚜️    ⚜️    ⚜️    ⚜️    ⚜️    ⚜️

I would say I'm back, but I doubt anyone really noticed my absence. I got the idea for this story while I was at work and just immediately started writing. I'm really excited about writing this story with AA characters and where it's going, I have so many ideas. I hope you guys like this, then again, even if you don't, I'll keep writing lol.