Chapter Fourteen

"That is really weird!" Johanna cackled wildly as she leaned over the pool table and lined up her shot.

"Why? Lots of people are scared of birds!" Elliot defended as he watched her.

"Not grown ass men!" She teased, jabbing the white ball with her pool stick to take her shot. "You live in New York for crying out loud – there's pigeons everywhere!"

Despite Johanna's reluctance to fully let Elliot into her world, their relationship went back to normal, continuing their weekly meet-ups at their usual bar to play pool.

As the weeks passed, Elliot realized he hadn't gotten through to her as much as he originally thought, but he was pleased by the small steps they took: numerous date nights throughout the week in addition to playing pool, spending the night together at least once a week, etc. It felt like a typical relationship, so he surrendered to the hope that she would eventually come around.

"Whatever, I bet you're scared of something weird," Elliot insisted as he took his turn over the pool table.

"Hmm," Johanna thought.

"Oh, I know something weird you're scared of," he suggested as he looked over at her slyly.

"And what's that?" She wondered, placing her hand on her hip.

"Love," he answered as he walked around her closely. "You're afraid of love."

"Ooh." She narrowed her eyes at him. "Sick burn."

He laughed at her reaction then added, "Joking, of course."

"Ha-ha!" She spat.

Pleased with his little joke, Elliot held a smug look on his face as he watched Johanna sink the last two balls into a hole, winning the game.

She walked around Elliot closely, as he had done to her only minutes before, and leaned in to whisper in his ear. "I win."

"I let you win," he flirted. He was getting better at the whole flirting thing.

"You wish," she teased.

When she turned around to put the pool sticks up into the racks against the wall, he reached over and smacked her gently on her ass then quickly leaned back against the pool table to seem inconspicuous. She yelped and spun back around, eyeing him cautiously. He smirked at her so cutely; it made her want to melt into the floor.

Johanna couldn't help but think the man was adorable. He was rough, he was protective and proper and strong. But when he smiled at her, whether it was sweetly or smugly, it nearly made her heart combust in her chest.

She walked over to him and stood between his legs then kissed him on the lips eagerly. She pushed his lips open with her tongue and he met her tongue with his. Her hand grazed between his legs, and he jumped slightly, feeling blood rush to the area where her hands were touching him through his jeans.

She pulled away from him quickly and walked away to continue picking up the billiards supplies.

With his eyes still shut, Elliot sighed. He pushed himself off of the pool table, not acknowledging the redhead, and walked over to the bar then said something to Tommy, the bartender. Johanna watched him, confused as she was expecting his reaction to be much different. She watched as Tommy handed Elliot his credit card and a receipt, which he signed, then he walked back over to her.

Without hesitation, Elliot picked up Johanna and threw her over his shoulder. She squealed and laughed wildly as he walked out the door of the bar.

"What are you doing?!" She screeched, unable to stop laughing as the blood flowed to her head.

"Taking you home," he answered, smugly smirking.