Chapter Fifteen

"You're going to kill me one of these days, you freak," Elliot joked as he collapsed on Johanna's bed. His unclothed body glistened from beads of sweat.

Johanna laughed as she stood up and walked into the bathroom that connected to her bedroom. "What's wrong, grandpa? Can't keep up?"

"Very funny," he retorted as he watched the girl's flawless naked body stand in front of the sink, brushing her teeth to rid her mouth of his juices.

The two yet again had mind-blowing Sunday-morning sex, which exhausted Elliot's body. He was used to very minimal sexual activity, 30-minute sex in the missionary position: his ex-wife's demands. But Johanna would go for over an hour, in so many different positions, moving in ways Elliot didn't think was possible.

He watched her womanly figure carefully, examining all of her curves and features. He couldn't help but compare his relationship with his ex-wife to his relationship with the redhead, but he wondered if maybe Kathy's boring ways was a result of the many nights she spent alone taking care of their four children while Elliot worked. Of course she didn't want to have wild sex with him on the rare nights that he was home before she fell asleep. He wondered if Kathy would have Joanna-esque qualities if they hadn't had children, though he could never imagine a life without his kids.

"What are you doing today?" He wondered as the girl rinsed the toothpaste out of her mouth.

"You mean besides you?" She smirked as she stood in the doorway of the bathroom, drying her hands with a blue towel and eyeing the naked body on her bed.

Though he tried to fight it, a smile crept onto Elliot's face as his own eyes scanned the naked body in front of him. "Yes, besides me."

She walked over to the calendar on her wall and pointed to the current day on the open month of March.

"Mail monthly reports, pick up clothes from the dry cleaner," she read aloud with her back to Elliot, giving him full view of her bare ass. "Print out and laminate new therapy cards and-"

Her heart stopped in her chest when she read the next line she had written down: 'Pick up birth control from pharmacy.'

"And what?" Elliot asked.

Johanna felt like she couldn't breathe. If she had to pick up her new pack of birth control from the pharmacy that day, that meant she should currently be on her period. And she wasn't.

In an attempt to play off the abrupt weirdness, she smiled and glanced over her shoulder then replied, "And bang Elliot's brains out."

"Well you can check one of those things off your list," he teased as he smiled at her.

She laughed slightly, trying to shake off the sudden realization, but she was panicking. Her mind was racing at a million miles a minute. She should've started her period days ago – how could she not notice how late her cycle was?

As she climbed back into bed, she tried to convince herself that there was no way she could be pregnant. She just couldn't be. She took her pill regularly, and Elliot didn't always release inside of her.

Regardless, she was not prepared to be pregnant again. She would not be able to handle it. Last time she was pregnant, her life spiraled down the drain, and she was finally climbing out of the gutters – she would not allow that to happen again.

She had to find out for sure.

The next morning, Johanna picked up a pregnancy test, and when she arrived at work, she grabbed Grace and dragged her into the bathroom to be her support as she peed on the little white stick.