Chapter Twenty-Three

Around 10PM on the seventh night of Elliot's hospital stay, Olivia and Johanna sat together on the couch, laughing and drinking coffee together. They had gotten to know each other well in the previous week, for which they were thankful, and were starting to really enjoy spending time together. They were sharing stories with one another – some of Elliot, some of their childhoods, and some of their jobs. And they were totally oblivious to the subtle movement on the bed in front of them.

Awareness slowly crept back into Elliot's mind. His senses came back to him in a gradual, slow progression. First taste, a gross and dry flavor in his mouth. Then smell, a clean and sterile cold aroma in his nostrils. Then feeling, a tingling sensation throughout his body, warm in some areas and cold in others. Then hearing, laughter, beeping, talking.

His eyes slowly fluttered open, bringing forth his fifth and final sense. Brightness shocked his sheltered pupils, causing him to shut his eyes quickly. When he was able to open them again, he followed the sound of laughter and leaned his head to the side to see his beautiful Johanna with a smile spread across her face, laughing, and Olivia next to her with a similar smile.

They were in their own little world, oblivious to the event they had been awaiting for the past week, until they heard Elliot's raspy voice.

"My girls," he croaked out, dryly.

Johanna and Olivia whipped their heads to the side to see Elliot smiling lovingly at them.

"Stabler," Johanna greeted softly, smiling even wider than before.

"Hey, El," Olivia added, smiling as well.

"Water," he requested, feeling absolutely no moisture in his mouth or throat.

Johanna jumped up and quickly poured him a small cup of water then handed it to him. He downed it slowly, feeling so refreshed by the rehydration.

"I'm gonna go tell the nurse you're awake," Olivia stated as she stood up, wanting to give them some privacy and needing to tell a nurse so Elliot could be examined.

Johanna nodded, smiling at her with appreciation, as she watched her walk out of the room then turned back to Elliot.

"I feel like I was a hit by a train," he groaned. "What happened?"

"You don't remember?" Johanna asked, hoping he wasn't going to suffer any memory loss. "You were shot protecting Olivia. Some guy named Bardwell shot up the precinct, aiming for her. You were covering her and he shot you in the back."

Vaguely, the event came back to Elliot, but it felt more like the idea of the event, not like a memory he experienced. It was all hazy and blurry in his mind.

"Liv's okay?" He wondered, although she seemed okay a few moments earlier.

"Yeah." Johanna smiled and nodded, running her hand through Elliot's hair. "Not a scratch on her, thanks to you."

"How long was I out?" He questioned.

"A week," she told him, feeling her heart well up with the emotions that she had been ignoring for a few days, which sent a couple tears to edge of her eyes.

"Don't cry," he cooed as he slowly grabbed her hand and brought it to his dry lips, kissing it softly, which made a few of her tears fall. "Why're you crying?"

"I missed you," she said. "A week is a long time to be with you."

"Does that mean you don't want to be without me?" He wondered, smirking. "Ever?"

Johanna laughed at his typical teasing, ready to tell him how she felt. She leaned forward and kissed Elliot on his cheekbone then answered, "That's exactly what that means. I don't ever want to have to live a life without you."

A smile so wide spread across Elliot's face. He was elated to hear her say that, to know she finally felt the way he had been feeling for a while.

"Give me a kiss," he instructed her.

Again, she leaned forward then kissed him on the lips softly, smiling. She, too, was elated – just by the sheer fact that Elliot seemed fine and that things would go back to normal.

He wanted to tell her he loved her, even though he still wasn't sure if she'd say it back yet, but it didn't feel like the right time. He wanted to tell her when he could say it and make love to her after, when he could move freely on his own to grab her face and kiss her hard and passionately. It just wasn't right yet.

"Did I miss anything good while I was out?" He asked.

"Well, I met Kathy," she answered with a laugh as her tears dried up.

Elliot's eyes widened. Though unsure of the reasoning behind it, he knew it was probably a stressful thing for her to experience alone, so he said, "I am so sorry."

Johanna laughed a little more. "No, it's okay. Maureen snuck out and came to the hospital to see you a few nights ago. I met her too – she's a doll, El. Anyway, she said Kathy didn't know she was here, so I got her number from Olivia and called her so she wouldn't worry, and she came here to pick Maureen up."

Elliot shook his head in disbelief at his daughter. "That girl. Was Kathy awful to you?"

"Not really." She shook her head in response. "She didn't really say anything to me, but it could've been worse."

He frowned a little. "You're a trooper."

She just smiled at him sweetly, realizing how much she really did miss his smile and their talks, and promising herself that she would never take him for granted again.

"You have the most beautiful smile I've ever seen," Elliot told her, grabbing her hand and squeezing it gently.

Before either of them could say another word, Dr. Reed walked through the door, interrupting their intimate moment.

~

Johanna walked into Elliot's hospital room the next afternoon, surprised to see him sitting up on the edge of the bed, wearing his own sweatpants and t-shirt instead of the hideous and uncomfortable hospital gown that seemed as if it was made more of paper than of cotton.

"Look at you sitting up!" Johanna exclaimed, happy to see him moving at least a little.

"Yeah, I learned a few new tricks today," he joked at her overreaction. "Watch this." He raised his eyebrows as he stood up straight then held out his hands as if he were saying 'ta-da'.

"Wow," she replied with a smirk, which he loved so greatly. "You've got all kinds of tricks up your sleeve."

"I've got one more," he told her. "Wanna see?"

She nodded in response.

He reached forward, grabbing her by her waist, then pulled her body to his and pressed his lips onto hers firmly. She immediately reached forward and placed a hand on either side of his face, kissing him back, as he held her close to his body by her waist with one hand. He brought his other hand up to her face and cupped her cheek gently.

She sighed into his lips, so thankful to be able to kiss him like that again.

When he broke away from her lips, he pressed his forehead to hers with a smile then told her, "Dr. Reed said I'll probably be cleared to go home tomorrow. I won't be cleared to go back to work for a while though."

"When will you be cleared to do, um...physical activity?" She smirked.

Elliot moved his forehead off of hers and raised his eyebrows suggestively. "I'll make sure to ask, you little freak."

Johanna giggled then kissed his nose cutely. She was so glad things would soon be going back to normal.