Day 22: Cold

Marvin had anticipated an attack; he hadn't considered how it would happen.

Schneep, Jackie, and Chase had left him alone with the two comatose victims earlier that day. With both of them under Anti's control, Marvin had expected something to happen because he was alone. 

What he hadn't expected was to see both Jack and Jameson walk downstairs completely fine, as if they'd just woken up from a refreshing nap.

"Wha--?"

"Marvin?" Jack said, though his tone was confused. "What's going on? Jameson said I was in a coma?"

Jameson nodded, rubbing his head. "Ugh, how long have I been asleep?"

Marvin blinked. It took him a moment to register the question before he shook his head and stood from his seat on the couch. "That doesn't matter, why are you awake?! More importantly, how are both of you awake?!"

Jack shrugged, but Jameson became more thoughtful. "I--I'm not sure, but--"

Suddenly, both of them shouted in pain and collapsed to the ground, their bodies glitching in a way that was all too familiar.

"Are you okay?" Marvin ran forward as their glitching stopped, holding a hand out to each of them. Jameson took it gladly, breathing heavily.

Marving turned to help Jack, but he had become oddly still. Fearing the worst, he pulled Jameson away and started back up. However, when Jack looked into Marvin's eyes, he seemed completely normal albeit emotionless in a way he'd never seen before.

"You did this," Jack whispered.

"What?" Jameson asked, but Marvin felt the blood begin to grain from his face.

Jack stood, glaring at the magician across from him. "You made a deal. You gave me to him like some sort of--some sort of puppet! I thought I could trust you!"

Marvin held out his hands in a calm-down gesture. "Listen, I can explain--"

"Wait, what did you do?" Jameson turned to look at him.

Before Marvin could respond, Jack pointed his finger at him. "This traitor made a deal to give me up! He's the reason I went into a coma, you took everything from me!"

"You--how could you?" The look of betrayal on Jameson's face was comparable to a frightened puppy. "Why would you ever do such a thing?"

Marvin groaned, glancing back and forth between the two. "I--I had no choice! He forced me to pick between the two of you and I thought since Jameson doesn't belong here and you've dealt with Anti before--look, there was no good way to make that sort of deal!"

"You could've done nothing!" Jack argued. "You're a powerful magician, you could've found the spell to bring Jameson home without forcing me into this!"

"I didn't know what Anti would do! This--"

"No. I'm sick of hearing excuses. Get out of my house."

Marvin's eyes widened. "W-what?"

"I said gET OƯT!"

The glitch in his voice didn't go unnoticed by Marvin. Coupled with the uncharacteristic rage and Jameson's innocent vibes, the pieces of the puzzle finally went together with a click!

"You're not Jack, are you?"

There was a small moment of shock mirrored on both Jack and Jameson's face, then they broke into identical twisted grins. "Al͞r͜ig̀ht, ͘y̸ou g̡ót me͟. I̸t ̸see̕m̡s ͡th͞a̵t ́y̕oư'̛re ̢n͠o͏t ̶in t́h͞ȩ ̢mòo̧d͠ to ͟pl͏a҉y͠ gam̴es̛.̨"