Chapter 14: The 2 Men Connection

(Y/n)'s POV:
   "Rossi and JJ are interviewing the dad, while Hotch and Emily are doing the same to James Miller."

"I see." I reply as glance at our board.

⌖~~~~~★~~~~~⌖

Emily's POV:

Hotch and I enter the private room where James Miller is seated waiting for us. I take a seat across from him and Hotch stands by the door with his arms crossed keeping his eyes on James. James is sitting calmly and glances at the both of us, before he starts to drum his fingers against the table.

"So what brings you here? Since you did indeed voluntarily come down to the station." I state leaning back in my chair.

"In this situation, it does make you a bit suspicious. Don't you agree?" Hotch directs at him. James glances at us and sighs.

"I came for Andrea, I heard what happened to her. How am I not going to try to figure out what happened to her?" James says as he looks between us in confusion.

"Then let me remind you that she had a restraining order against you. If I knew any better, those are placed to keep people away." Hotch explains as he made his way towards the empty chair beside me.

"She didn't mean it. She would have never done that."

"James, you do realize that a restraining order requires the person who is placing it to sign off on it?" I question him. "Besides what makes you so sure that she didn't? You sound cocky right now and that alone is very suspicious in this situation."

"Look, I'm not quite sure myself, but Andrea told me the day before the restraining order was filed that she didn't mean it." James sounded truthful and seemed to have faith in her words. I share a glance with Hotch as I sigh.

"Did it ever occur to you that she possibly lied to you?" Hotch asks as he makes direct eye contact with James, which causes James to shift a bit under his gaze.

"No, Andrea was as honest as they come by. She first tried to lure me away by saying that she was a mother of 2 when we were freshmen in college. But, I was stubborn and still pursued after her."

"Wait, she was a mother of 2 by freshmen year of college?" I pause to think, "What else?"

"Yea, she told me that she was in an abusive relationship, and because of that it made it more difficult to leave." James's voice quieted down with each passing word and he began to look at his hands on the table.

"Did she by any chance open up more about the abusive relationship?"

"No, but she said she was interested in me and then we dated for a year seriously in secret before the restraining order was filed."

"In secret?" Hotch started, "While she was in a relationship?" I finished.

"Okay, she expressed to me that the relationship that she was in, she was emotionally and mentally over and checked out of it. To me, it didn't mean that she was cheating it simply meant that she couldn't physically leave the relationship." James pauses for a second, "Which I was alright with and got into a relationship with her. We had to keep it secretive because who knows what that sicko would've done to her."

"On your part, you really cared for her, but that doesn't simply explain the whole restraining order situation." I remind him of.

"Okay, that part even I can't explain it. But, I met her kids on several occasions and we all got along great. She even was comfortable talking about leaving with me and with the fact that she apologized for the restraining order," James looks out the window in the room for a moment, "I don't think that she meant for that." I readjust my posture in my seat and look at Hotch, who returns the look.