Chapter 12: The Sacrifice

She hugged me. Meagan joined in too. Then I heard a scream and the hug broke up.
"ASHERRRRR! HELP!" cried the voice. It sounded strangely like Mae's. I looked in mom's deep brown eyes, and kneeled down before her.
"Listen Mom, I have to go, I'll meet you outside the base. If I don't come back . . . remember, I love you," I say softly. Her eyes fill with tears and she hugs me once more.
"My boy, you must keep him safe," mother says quietly to Meagan. Meagan nods and I can tell it's for real. I give one last look at my mom and I stand up and Meagan and I run through the hallways. We did it! Once I save Mae, life will be back to normal!
We followed the screams to large open room. Finn was there, his eyes were crazed. His hair was messy and flopped on the side of his head. He had Mae. Meagan and I stopped.
"Finn . . . you don't have to be this way. Come back, come home, with me," I say, begging.
"Asher, you'll never learn! I'm not a friend of Othdoan!" He cries and he kicks Mae to the ground.
"FINN!! THIS ISN'T ABOUT OTHDOAN! IT'S ABOUT LIFE! YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE THE EVIL FINN THAT THE HIM MADE YOU INTO!" I cry.
Finn started kicking and punching Mae.
"Owwwww!" She cried in pain.
"No, stop!" I yelled running towards Mae.
Just then, Blake came in and punched me in the face and I fell down to the ground.
Just then, I felt something go in me. I felt more calm inside. Asher. I smiled. "Yes, my lord?"
You are finally joining us. What a right decision you made.
"The best one I have made my whole life, my lord," I replied.
Good. Everyone, out!
Everyone scrambled out except for Mae who sat on the ground with tears in her eyes.
Make her join me. My army.
I nodded and started to walk towards her.
"Mae Mae Mae," I began.
"This isn't like you," her words choked up.
"This, Mae? This isn't like me? Well, I feel lovely. Actually better than lovely. I feel more alive, more powerful, more . . .," I smiled and grabbed her chin. "Why should I continue? Being with The Him is way better than some own-loser life."
"No it's not," Mae slapped my hand away from her face.
I stood up and looked at her.
"Asher, do you know what you have told me? When I was with The Him? You told me that he was just some dimwit trying to eliminate humanity. And you know what, you're right! He's just a random dude that just likes destroying stuff!" Mae stood up. "You also told me your feelings and helped me remember what I have done." Tears started rolling down her cheeks.
She started crying and choking on her words as she said them. "And you told me you loved me. And I never answered you back. Asher, I do love you. You try to be on the good side of people when there is no good side. You try to prove that you are good even when no one believes that you are. Asher, you are better without The Him. You make the world better!"
She came up to me and hugged me. I pulled away. My vision became fuzzy and then I could control myself again. Finn raged and he clicked a button on a remote and the ground split revealing lava below. He snatched Mae and held her over the edge. She screamed.
"FINN!" I cry. His eyes are glazed with fury and anger. Meagan gasps from beside me.
"This is your last chance Asher!! Die or else she dies!!" Finn howls. Meagan looks at me longingly.
"ASHER IT'S NOT WORTH IT!! DON'T DO IT!" Mae screams. Tears are rolling as quick is the speed of light down her cheeks. I take a deep breath.
"I'll do it," I say quietly. Finn smirks and sets Mae down. Then he kicks me over the edge and into the lava. My last glimpse is Mae and Meagan screaming from above. Then my body slams into the lava. It laps me up and slowly, my eyes close . . . I remember the world as it is . . . I remember Mae.