Chapter One

Oliver's POV - Sunday, August 24, 2014

"Oliver! Come on. If we're late it'd be considered rude. The principal personally volunteered to let us in the school today so you could learn your way around before the first day of school tomorrow." My mom yelled at me from down stairs. You might all be wondering what happened since I was five. Well, we lived with my aunt and uncle and eventually my three little cousins until a month ago. Mom finally found a place she liked and chose to settle down in a cute little town, her words not mine, and we finally moved out. I had just finished un packing the last of my things yesterday and my mom had arranged for us to go check out my new school today.

"Coming!" I called back as I pulled on a pair of converse before putting on my pair of sunglasses. No, I never got my sight back. Yes, I finally moved on from the accident though rain and storms still cause me to panic a little. I currently was wearing a black shirt that read I'm a a perfect angel with a broken halo over the word angel on the front and a pair of wings on the back. My mom had thought it was a cool shirt and I thought the shirt was funny. I had on a pair of ripped jeans, not skinny jeans though since I wanted to feel a bit more relaxed today. You're probably wondering how I know what I'm wearing or what I look like. I have just grown used to doing things a certain way since I was five. I've learned braille and had my dresser drawers and hangers all labeled with braille labels. My clothes were sorted by color and type of clothing, then my patterned or saying shirts were set in a specific order in my dresser so I always knew what I was grabbing, My shoes were all kept in shoe boxes with labels on them as well.

As for how I look, I personally don't know. My mom says I have a redish brown color hair with lighter brown streaks. I'm supposedly about five foot six which is a bit shorter than most my age. I''m now 17, just turned seventeen actualy, last week. I apparently have light freckles across my nose and cheek bones. My mom says my eyes look like an ice blue but I was born with brown. She says it's from my loss of sight but I don't really care. So long as they don't look abnormal I don't mind.

I made my way with ease out of my room and down the stairs, turning to the lef to make my way to the kitchen. My mom was washing dishes, judging by the clink of silverware and the rushing sound of water. I walked around the island in the center of the kitchen and over to the counter beside the fridge, I reached out and grabbed a banana from the fruit bowl that was there and peeled it, taing a bite out of it and leaning back against the counter.

"Ready when you are." I said and heard her let out a slight gasp as she dropped whatever she was washing back into the sink causing my to wince at the sound. That was another thing I'd grown used to but still hated. The loss on my one sense resulted in the others being heightened. I could heard things way better than others, same with scents and tastes. The one I don't think I'll ever get used to though would be my heightened sense of touch. I was extremely sensitive to others touching me and it bugged me to no end.

"God, stop doing that. I still don't know how you manage to be so quiet when you walk." She huffed before shutting off the water and drying her hands. I continued to munch on my banana as I followed her movements around the kitchen, out into the living room, then back into the kitchen before walking over and opening the door that led out to the garage. I pushed off from the counter and walked over, heading over to the car and sitting in the front passenger seat. She got in and started the car, driving us down to my new school. I don't know how many times I'd gone over my route for my schedule. From the front doors, down the hall to my locker and then to each of my classes, stopping at my locker between each class and even to the cafeteria. I was shown to the library so I knew where it was and to the auditorium where school functions were held.

It was probably around three o'clock now and I felt confident I could get through school with little to no problems on my own. I asked my mom if I could walk home and she only agreed after making sure I had my cellphone and the gps locator thing was turned on in case I got lost. I told her I might stop to spend some time outside but that I'd be home no later than six if I did. After she said she'd see me later, I turned and headed down the side walk. I'd already explored the town with my mom quite a few times but always early in the morning or late at night so there weren't many people around. She was honestly worried about me going to a normal school for the first time but I assured her I'd be fine and if I really couldn't handle it that she could transfer me to a school for the blind or home school me for my senior yeaar.