.Hope.

.Zuko.

the last week had been health anxiety and guilt-filled being followed and threatening to never leave.  He hasn't wanted to give up but it seemed like he  would have no choice, there had been no sign of katara or her team in over a week... yes it had only been a week. However no sign non had shown up not even the bace that had been set up. It was like they had never existed in the first place. Of   course Aang had been missing for one hundred years before he turned up. No he didnt want to think about katara waking up a century from now in a completely different time different culture. Her friends and family gone. Zuko sat his back to the open window that took up most of the wall behind him the window spread into a balcony that allowed him to view most of the palace gardens, particularly the fountain that his mother had loved. No, adored  the turtal ducks still swam around the cool waters and quacked in glee whenever he fed them. The red curtains that draped down to the floor swept and shifted slightly in the cool  breeze. He couldn't let this happen, he couldnt just sit here all high and mighty while his friend was missing Sokka toph and Aang were out there right now searching.

"Damn it" he seethed his fists smashing into the table, standing he grabbed a piece of paper and began to write a letter.

'Under the current events surrounding the disappearance of Master water bender Katara of the Southern Water tribe. I fire lord Zuko will be taking a leave from the palace and its duties to aid in the search. She is a loyal friend and ally of the nation and has risked her life in restoring the peace and equality of our kingdom, it would be a disgrace if I were not to join in the search, therefore I leave my uncle Genral Iroh in my place' he sealed the letter and was about the ring the servants bell when the messenger boy stumbled into the room panting.

"Its a black ribboned letter my lord" Zuko snatched the letter and ripped it open his heart pounding. Pushing against his chest. This couldnt be, he was pertified and almost certain this letter would tell him katara was dead.

But no, the letter told him she was alive. He almost stopped reading then and there however something caught his eye a map, with inked Mark's over certain areas. The letter told him this was what they found at the rogues baced and they had no idea what they had planned. But whatever it was, it told Zuko that there were traitors in his court. And he needed to figure out who they were.

~•~•~•~•~•

Katara arrived a day later. With the rogues in toe, Toph, Aang and Sokka had all found her and brought her back to the palace.

"Toph can help" she said pulled out of Zuko's tight embrace, the fire lord sent her a questioning look. "Toph can tell when people are lying, remember?" She rolled her eyes at him causing a light chuckle to form. Aang stepped forward.

"We have no clue who could be working against you, it could be your advisers your staff any one." Sokka placed his hands on Aangs shoulders.

"Way to point out the obvious" Aang just gave him a lop sided smile.

"My point, is that we need to do interviews."

"Interviews?" Mai stepped out from a side entrance door. "Do you know how long that will take? Individually we have over three hundred people in the palace"

"This is where my plan is smart. We have three people at one time. And two interviews happening at the same time. Toph trained me I know when people are lying as well" Aang stood straighter clearly proud of this fact.

"Okay" mai droned "so three hundred divides three then divided by two that's..."

"Fifty" toph cut in "it's okay twinkle toes and I have got this"

 Aang nodded with enthusiasm, a dorkish grin plastered firmly on his face. almost causing Zuko to smile himself but he couldn't, he just couldn't! how could he? the last few days had been agony, believing katara to be dead then finding out that she was very much alive (just captured) dealing with spirits knows what. and then on top of everything else having to accept that he had a traitor in his court, he didn't know what he expected less or more out of the options given to him. that, however, could wait. finding the mole could not.

"We owe it to katara to find this mole, this traitor must pay for what they have done" Zuko stood tall, his voice filled with a tone his friends did not recognize and none of them knew how they felt about it. the role that the young boy, no man. had taken upon himself had changed him in the short year that he had been <>incharge. and they all saw the difference, he held himself differently when politics or other ruler duties where conversation he spoke differently. of course, they could all understand why he had changed, he had three generations of suffering to make up for. Aang had told him a hundred times that he was already a better fire lord than his father, grandfather and great grandfather combined. 

"you wanted things to change for the better and they have. you're a good person that's what makes you a better fire lord, friend and human being" 

katara stepped forword and he couldn't help but marvel at the young women she had kept her cool and survived a hostage situation which she escaped by herself! 

"these people are strange, they seem to have no end goal or aim. none that i am aware of at least" she glanced at the earth bender and her past student.. "just be careful in there.. ill help sokka with the rogues"

"No" sokka had barely said a word since the conversation had begun. "they will just taunt you and i already want to kill every single one of them. ill escort them to the recorection program and you will stay here with mai

"sokka! that is ridiculous! i can handle myself i think i proved that." she glared at her brother who had now crossed his arms and was glaring right back at her with hooded eyes. 

"you are the political diplomat of the southern water tribe are you not? it would make sense for your to spend a little time with the future fire lady of the fire nation especially with the history" you could feel every one in the room wince, and the tension became so thick between the two siblings you couldn't move for fear of inciting one of the to strike "give me one reason why you can't stay here?"

if Zuko didn't know any better he would say that Sokka was taughnting his younger sister, he knew somthing the rest of the group did not. he saw a glint of anger in Katara's eye, he was right. she was hiding somthing but what? 

(right so i basicly disapeard of teh face of the earth and im sorry, ive had a really, really hectic couple of months but im trying to be more consistent. enjoy!)