7 - Serious

I walked out of the lifeless mansion and didn't look back as I made my way to school. Luckily, Merideth hadn't heard Axel in my room last night and I got to sleep peacefully until I got up to make breakfast. Though, I couldn't stop thinking of what he said to me.

"We'll figure out a way for you to leave this life..."

It scared me of how promising he sounded, as if he had already planned everything out and he's just waiting for the right time to take charge. And just by the thought of that made me contemplate if I should really go to school today or not, I had a bad feeling about it.

But then again, I usually get a bad feeling for going to school because of Holly. So with that thought and reassurance, I continued walking down the sidewalk and towards my second personal hellhole.

I walked into the classroom earlier than everybody else again after I got my books from my locker. I sat in my usual seat in the back and started writing down my plans for the future.

It was sad of how I had to keep rewriting these plans over and over again. They were the only things that would keep me going, and whenever I felt down I had to keep reminding myself that things may get better, or things might not.

"Early again I see," Mr. Lottie said as he entered the classroom.

"Yeah, but I have something to talk about with you sir," I said as I got up from my desk and made my way over to him.

"Oh? What's up April?" He asked.

I sat down in the seat in front of him and played with the sleeves of my hoodie. This class was the only reason I had met him in the first place, and Merideth wants him out of my life as much as I don't want him to be concerned about me.

"Sir, I'm afraid that my partnership with Axel isn't going so well," I said nervously.

He picked his head up from his papers and folded his hands, "What? But you guys did so well on your first paper together. Are you sure you don't want to talk about it April? Maybe I can help," he said sadly.

I hated disappointing people like this. I hated seeing them sad about a decision I would make when they hoped for the best. It was the worst feeling in the world to let people down, but this choice would lessen the amount of beatings I get. It could prevent me from getting hurt.

"No sir it's okay. We just don't make a great pair together friendship wise, so could I please switch with someone and possibly get a girl to be my partner?" I pleaded. Well, with the way I let it out it sounded like I was begging.

He sighed and nodded his head slowly, "Oh, and also if you could change seating arrangements," I added.

He looked up to me and sadly nodded his head while I went back to my seat. It'll be better this way, no one will get hurt. No one would be giving false hope to the other, right?

Once the bell rang I kept my head down, not daring to make eye contact with those steel silver eyes ever again. I couldn't bear to see the disappointment, I couldn't bear to feel guilty about the smartest decision I've made in awhile.

I heard the chair next to me screech against the tile floor and I smelled his hazelnut scent from here. It was intoxicating, but a smell I wouldn't get to witness any longer.

I looked up to Mr. Lottie from my hood and saw him looking at the both of us disappointedly. I nodded my head stiffly and he sighed, "Mr. Takeridge, come on over and sit right here. Rachel will be your new partner from now on," he called out.

Many gazes were sent to the both of us but I could only feel the familiar pair of eyes glaring at me from the side of my head. It was silent for a couple of seconds but it felt like forever. I didn't want him to be part of my distasteful life, how much pain would I be paying to Merideth if I kept this up any longer?