Chapter 1

(Conversation in Arabic)

"You're getting married."

"Okay."

"WHAT?!?!."

"I said okay."

"Why?"

"Because I don't feel like saying no. That is unless you want me to."

"NO! It's just that you didn't even ask who it is," my mother points out. I don't blame her for her reaction or response. I'm a very stubborn girl. Both my sisters agreed to marry the guys my parents set up for them the first time around.

I, on the other hand, didn't. They call it being "Americanized."  I just think it's just me being cautious. Low key or not, I really do want to get married. The problem is; I don't know what kind of man I'm interested in. And on top of that, being from a strict Muslim family, I'm not even allowed to talk to him until the engagement day. Even then, I'll end up having to wait til' the wedding day to get to know him better. 

"What's the point of asking? Even if I know whose family he's from, what his name is, or how he looks, I still don't really know who HE is," I point out to my mother who looks like she's hoping this all goes well so I can end up being somebody else's disappointment.

"You know what I mean," she says in a bored tone.

"I do," I point out mimicking the same tone as her. After all, like mother like daughter. Except in this case, not really.

"Saif."

"WHATTTTT?!?!" Alhamdulillah (Thank God) I wasn't drinking any shai (tea) because that was one narr (hell) of a shock.