Chapter 4 The Meeting

Today is the day.
My engagement day.

To say I'm nervous is an understatement. I can't believe it's today.

I've seen his sister around campus a couple of times and we've arranged everything when we did see each other and through texts.

His mother came by my house a couple of times and also made plans. They said that the venue and everything are ready, I just need to prepare myself with hair and makeup.

Right now my oldest sister, Sana, is helping me put on the dress.

"You look beautiful," she says.

"Thank you."

"Wow. I never thought this day would come," she chuckles.

"Me neither," I laugh along.

"Are you sure about this?"

"I guess."

"This is marriage we're talking about."

"Were you sure?"

Silence.

Then my mother and Saif's sister, Abeel, came in.

"Wow! You look so beautiful!" Abeel squeaked. "And that dress is gorgeous."

She's right. This dress is gorgeous. My second oldest sister, Nora, picked it out.

I decided to leave my hair down in its natural curls

(Conversation in Arabic)

"Okay ladies!" Saif's mother called out. "He'll be here in ten minutes. The guests are all here. Get the bride-to-be to her throne!"

And with that, we all made our way. The venue was beautiful. Simple, but beautiful. It was decorated with the colors pink and purple. The guests filled out all the seats. I don't really have many friends. I think there were only two or three girls here that I only invited because I knew they were expecting me to consider the handful of conversations we've had. Considering there were only women, I wasn't really surprised to see them with their hair down and skin showing. But then Saif's mother, Aunt Fatima, screamed out and informed the ladies that the groom-to-be is coming in five minutes.