Chapter 6 (Edited)

"So, Mom, why didn't you tell me who my father was?" I asked, looking at her with a raised eyebrow. I saw her pained expression, making I blush for being so direct. "I'm... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ask the like that." I looked away, not knowing if I should take it back.

"No, it's me who should apologize." She shook her head and sighed, running a hand through her black hair.

"What do you mean, Mom?"

"I-I wanted to protect you, Mary," she said, finally. "I didn't want you to get hurt or hate your father and me."

"Mom, I'm not mad... upset, maybe, but I'm definitely not mad."

She shook her head, a smile on her face. "Your father was such a dear," she said laughing. "He loved you and me, even though he worked most of the time."

"Then, why did you leave him, even though you still loved him?" I asked, confused.

We had stopped at a fence, and we were leaning on it. I placed a foot on the board and looked out into the pasture to see a couple of horses grazing.

"I-I don't know. I was young and a bit stupid," she replied, shrugging her shoulder. "I-I was so dumb to fall for your father's handsome looks, his way with kids, his smile-" She shook her head and glanced at me. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bore you with the details of your father."

I laughed and shook my head. She had no idea that she wasn't boring me. I was interested. "Bore me. How can you bore me with details of who my father is, when I haven't seen him for almost like twelve years?" I tapped my chin, thinking something. "Oh what was that song from Grease?" I asked. "Oh yes. Tell me more, tell me more," I sung.

She laughed and shook her head. "I can't believe that I let you watch that movie at such a young age."

I shook my head and smiled. I knew that she was kidding with me about not letting me watch Grease. I also knew that she liked the movie and that I watched it with her, when I was maybe seven or eight years old. "I would've watched it at one of my friend's house." I shrugged my shoulder, knowing that it was true.

"Well, your father loved and respected me. He treated me like a lady." She sighed and looked down. "My parents, my mother, especially, didn't adore him. They didn't want me to see him anymore, but I did. She glanced at me, a grimace on her fae.. "You know how tough she can be, right?"

"Uh, do I ever." I rolled my eyes, thinking about my grand mother. "Mary, don't be like your mother and wear jeans and a shirt all the time. Mary wear this. Mary do this instead of that, do that instead of this," I said, mimicking my grandmother's shrilled voice. I wagged my finger around, making it so that she was actually talking to me like that.

"And don't get that dress dirty," we said in unison, laughing afterwards.

She shook her head and sighed, growing serious. "She wanted me to marry Joseph Jones, who was very rich, but I didn't. I wanted someone who could love animals just as much as I do, and that is why my parents don't see you that much."

I loved her. This was my mother who cared for me and wanted the best for me. She had my back and would pick me up, even when something tough happened. Mom would always place myself before her, even though I didn't like it, sometimes.

"I guess Joseph got married after a few years of waiting for me to  tell him that I loved him, when I didn't," she added.

"Oh, that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh," I sang, bobbing my head as if there was music playing.