19 | spirit of a fighter

[sunmi's pov]

"yeah, and that's basically what happened." i sigh.

"damn, that's why you invited me to a convenience store beside the hospital." jisung whistled.

the shop we were in was relatively empty, considering it was almost 1 am in the morning.

"i hope your aunt gets well soon, though." he offered a genuine smile, staring at me.

i take a sip of my coke, sensing an awkward tension between us.

she cleared her throat. "about earlier.."

"we don't have to discuss about that, i'm here to comfort you, you know."

"but i want to." jisung looked up at me, looking into my eyes, as if trying to find out if i'm lying or not.

"fine."

i put on the hood of my hoodie, embarased and anxious at the next words i'm gonna say.

i can't believe i'm doing this.

"hey, you know we can still be friends right? i mean i'm pretty sure i'm not your type or some-"

well, well, well would you look at that, the once confident and cocky han jisung now turned into a puddle of embarassment in front of me.

"ikindalikeyoutoo?" i whisper, hugging my knees to my chest and burying my face in it.

earth, swallow me whole please.

"what did you say?"

"i like y- oh no no no you're not making me say it again han jisung." i punch his shoulder, still flustered of the words that came stumbling out of my mouth.

jisung laughs. like actually laughs. he guffaws. "i'm so happy i woke up past midnight for this!" he puts both his hands to his mouth, getting giddy like a child getting a phone for the first time.

"let's be real, you don't sleep until like, 3 am."

jisung ignores my remark and hugs the shit out of me.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE MY BESTFRIEND LIKES ME BACK!"

"yah! shut up."

‣‣‣

[third person pov]

a few minutes after their goofy exchanges and beaming smiles, sunmi grew silent. amidst wanting to be with her bestfriend, she had priorities. and being in a relationship with someone wasn't exactly her top.

she had to take care of her aunt. knowing she was in a critical condition. she couldn't afford juggling that and a relationship.

and of course, her parents would nag her. it really wasn't the best oppurtunity to satisfy her feelings.

"hey, are you okay?" jisung leaned on the table, becoming aware of sunmi's sudden change of mood.

"it's just that.. im sorry but c-can all of this wait? i mean now's not really the best time to be with you and my parents wouldn't agree as well. i-i think they like you, yeah. but as a boyfriend? not so much. as of now." she said that all in a rush, scared of the boy's reaction.

"i understand."

"you do?"

"of course. i'll wait for you."

it was worth the wait. she was worth the wait. jisung thought.

‣‣‣