Chapter 1

JANUARY 27, 2066

EXT.  FRONT PORCH OF WILSON RETIREMENT VILLAGE  - DAY 

Mr. OLIVER(V.O.)

I live here.  I say live here because some are choosing to die here.  The man in the wheel chair has been dying here every single day for the last 12 years.  He tells me daily that he wants to die, but to his disappointment wakes each morning breathing.

INT. HALLWAY OF WILSON RETIREMENT VILLAGE - DAY

MR. OLIVER (V.O.) (cont'd)

The two ladies screaming at each other are certain to die once the other one dies because sometimes hate is enough to keep you going.

Man screaming at the walls and whomever is earshot of his general area.

MR. OLIVER (V.O) (cont'd)

Then there's this sorry son of a bitch.  You can always make out the people with regret because they are just angry at the world.

INT. DINING HALL, Old lady sitting by herself at the table staring out into nowhere.

MR. OLIVER (V.O.) (cont'd)

When the pleasures of life are no longer pleasurable, what do we live for?  When you are on the brink of eternity, what is left to say, what is left to do?  Just waiting.

INT. ROOM 31.  Back of Mr. Oliver's weathered head looks out of the window, circling around his face And into his eyes.

MR. OLIVER (V.O.) (cont'd)

With my only life and the uncertainty of the number of days left in front of me.  I sit at the top of a mountain of pebbles, rocks, and boulders of choices that led me to this room.