Chapter 2

EXT. HIGHWAY - CHEVY CAPRICE CLASSIC - DAY - 80 YEARS AGO

Backing away from Jim's wrinkled eye we see now his eye at 11 years old playing rock, paper, scissors with his two brothers in the backseat while his parents argue about his Dad's job.

CATHERINE

If you are so unhappy, why don't you just quit?

BILL

Easy for you to say, you don't do anything all day.

CATHERINE 

I could get my job back as a teacher's assistant. Then you could go back to school and get your degree.

EXT. CAR PULLING INTO GAS STATION

INT. CAR

BILL

I'm not going to school for four years so we can get more in debt, then end up with a job that sucks just as much as this one! Life's a bitch then you die!

EXT. Bill gets out of the car.

INT. CAR

CATHERINE

Bill! Don't listen to him, life is as happy as you want it to be. Your Dad just chooses to be grumpy.

JIMMY

Why Mommy?

CATHERINE

Because the biggest lie we tell ourselves is that there comes a point in our lives we are all done with making choices. We all have choices every day.

JIMMY

Even me?

CATHERINE

Especially you.

MATTHEW

Me too?

CATHERINE

All three of you. There is a story of two twin little boys.

Bill gets back into car.

BILL

Gas is too damn expensive!

CATHERINE

 Like I was saying this is he story of twin boys. One was a pessimist and the other an optimist.

JACK

What does that mean?

CATHERINE

It means that you either look at the good in life or the bad in life.

JACK

Like you and Dad.

BILL

Watch your mouth boy.

CATHERINE

So the Mommy and Daddy brought them to the doctor who said that he could help out. First thing he did was take the boy that saw the bad in everything and put him in a room with tons of toys. Then he put the kid that saw only the good in life in a room with horse poop up to his waist.

JIMMY, JACK, AND MATTHEW

Yuck! Gross!

CATHERINE

The doctor figured that this would make the happy boy a little more realistic about life and the sad boy happier about life. They waited one hour and then came back to find the pessimist boy had broken some of the toys and was complaining there was nothing to do. The doctor said will that didn't go so well. So they walked down the hall to the happy boy and to their amazement they discovered the boy running around the room throwing poop in the air and smiling cheek to cheek. As he ran by the doctor grabbed his arm and asked what are you doing? The boy looked up enthusiastically and said, "With all of this horse poop, there must be a pony in here somewhere.

MATTHEW

Disgusting.

CATHERINE

What you have decide about yourself is, are you a person that complains in heaven or the kind to stand in poop and look for the pony.

INT. BOYS BEDROOM - NIGHT

CATHERINE

Sweet dreams Jackie.

JACK

What are dreams?

CATHERINE

A dream is one of the most powerful tools you will ever have at your fingertips.  It's like a wish that you can turn into something real.

JACK

Like what?

CATHERINE

Anything.  Let's say you want to be a astronaut when you get big, that's your dream.  Then you just have to do work everyday to take baby steps to achieve that big dream and the next thing your on the moon. 

MATTHEW

Can I have more than one?

CATHERINE

Sure, you can have as many as you want.

MATTHEW

Good cause I have two.  I want to be rich and get married.

JACK

I want to be a hero!

CATHERINE

What kind of hero?

JACK

A super hero!

CATHERINE

Ah the only kind.  What about you Jimmy?

JIM

I want to be a Grandpa.

CATHERINE

Why do you want to be a Grandpa?

JIM

Because Grandpa said Grandpas are the happiest people in the world.

CATHERINE

You know why Grandpa is so happy?

JACK

Because he doesn't go to school!

CATHERINE

Maybe.  But it's also because he has family around him that loves him.  I'm sure you are going to be a super Grandpa one day but first you will have to be super sleepers.  Goodnight sweeties. 

Catherine turns off the light and exits as the boys close their eyes.

MR. OLIVER (V.O)

It's funny how you don't remember many moments of our youth while other moments are replayed with so much clarity.