Chapter 22

EXT. Boat sailing into St. John's.  Jim nudges a weaker looking Jack awake.  After docking, they make there way to the beach.

JIM

​You coming in?

​JACK

​Um, yeah.

Jack walks slowly into the water and then on to his back with Jim following him.

JIM

Jack. You okay?

​JACK

Best moment ever.

JIM swims over to JACK.

​JIM

Jack?

​JACK

Yeah?

​JIM

You alright?

​JACK

Yeah.

​JIM

What next?

​JACK

​Who cares.

EXT. Skimming the top of the water and then above them.

​JIM (V.O.)

​It had been two months since we decided to walk away. Jack died two weeks later.  In the end the choices are all yours. The perceived successes and failures are just that, perceptions.

EXT. Jack and Jim floating in the water as we move farther and farther away from them until we see just ocean.

​JIM (V.O.)

Everyone is where they choose to be. But the older most people get, the less likely they are to make any changes that will divert them away from the mundane life they built. If I could give advice to all of our forty and olders out there I would say step out your front door once and awhile look up and see the sun shining and scream I'm coming to get some.

EXT. We rush towards the sun until it is almost blinding. Then the sun becomes an eye of JIM as an old man.

INT. RETIREMENT VILLAGE – MORNING

Backs away from the eye to see JIM'S older face.

JIM (V.O.)

​As for me. The shiny objects are tarnished. Both of my brothers have passed away and I sit here day after day replaying the story of my life in my head.

JIM is sitting in a wheel chair on the porch of the retirement village looking out at the passing cars.

The street value of a good memory is worth my weight in gold in this place. I look out there every day and see people wasting there most precious commodity...time. Would I sell a year of my life for a million dollars. That is a young man's deal. Did I achieve every dream I set out to make? Of course not, but I did achieve my first dream.

A big smile grows on JIM'S face and a tear comes to his eye. We see six kids running towards Jim.

CHILDREN

​​Grandpa! Grandpa! Grandpa!

The kids run up to him and give him hugs and kisses, followed by JIM'S three daughters who give him a kiss and a hug.

​DAUGHTER #1

​​How are you Dad?

GRANDPA

​​I'm the happiest man in the world.

SUPER: Life is brief, life is bright, and then life is gone.

FADE OUT

​THE END