28. James

I watched with envy as Aggie and Boston shared their engagement with the family, they were so sure of each other's love, it had been so quick and all consuming, but it felt like she had been with him forever, not just a couple of weeks, one of which she had spent in hospital unconscious.
"you're next" Simon whispered and patted my back before moving forward to offer his congratulations. I watched him in shock, it wasn't my families legend, it couldn't happen to me. I scanned the room, seeing Ma and Aggies mum hugging and talking about the ring and weddings and Pop and her dad shaking hands and felt adrift. I backed out of the room and felt my phone buzz in my pocket. "Carter?" I answered.
"Is it true, she's awake?" He asked nervously.
"Awake and celebrating, come down to the hospital and join us" I urge him, thinking he could keep me company.
"Celebrating what?" He asks but I laugh and cut him off, knowing he will be on his way.
Twenty minutes later Carter came rushing up the hallway, his parents trailing behind him.
"James?" He queried but I waved them inside.
Carter stopped just inside the door gazing at Aggie, his guilt clear on his face.
"Aggie?" He whispered but she heard him.
"Carter, come in" she called and held out a hand to him, he shuffled forward dropping to his knees by the bed and taking her hand "oh god, Aggie, I am so sorry" he cried.
My eyes caught Bostons across the room and he smiled, he had known Aggie would not blame Carter and he'd been right.
"Carter, get up, I'm okay, it's all over now" she told him, patting his head, he stayed on his knees and I could see the frustration on Aggies face, "Carter, get up, I want to show you my ring" she growls at him and his head snaps up "ring?" He gasps.
Boston lifts Aggies hand in his and shows off the ring gracing her finger, smiling as he tells him "she said yes"
"Aggie?"
"Oh get up Carter, I forgive you, now help us celebrate" she tells him and he leans over to give her a hug.

"What's going on in here!"
I jump as a sharp voice shouts from the doorway behind me. A nurse in a starched blue uniform stands there her hands on her hips.
"This is a hospital, not a party, we have rules and that included visiting hours and numbers of visitors, now clear out, you will not disrupt my hospital like this" she shouts across the room.
I watch as Pop, nudges Simon who drags a phone out of his pocket, pressing it to his ear, his eyes on the nurse scowling at us.
"On his way" Simon tells Pop, as the nurse continues to demand we leave and threaten us with security, and we ignore her.
Rushing feet in the corridor heralds the arrival of the hospital administration.
"Sister, what are you doing?" The sweaty suited man asks, stepping into the crowded room.
"Director, this is completely against hospital procedure, there are too many people in here and it's not visiting time, I was telling them to leave" she explains glaring at us.
"Sister, this whole ward is currently private and nothing to do with you, you are not one of the staff allocated to this area, so I'm not sure what you are doing here, but you will apologise and return to your actual duties" he tells her and I can see her jaw drop.
"Private, but that's ridiculous..."
"Sister leave now!" The director ordered and we all watched as she stormed off.
"Mr Masters, my apologies, she was not assigned to this ward, I will ensure she is dealt with, I am sorry if she disturbed your family." He glanced round the room nervously.
"Thank you Director, but I think maybe if you could discuss how we can ensure it doesn't happen again with our head of security, just to make sure" Pop said and Simon steps forward , guiding the man out of the door.
"Baby, we have got to get you out of here and back home, I'll look after you there, we can hire a nurse" Boston growls still glaring at the doorway.
I listen as all the parents start bickering over who is going to look after Aggie and Carter comes back to my side. "Want to go grab a drink?" He groans and I nod, lifting my hand to Boston so he knows we're leaving.  He waves us off and goes back to exchanging looks with Aggie, and ignoring the parents.

It's a week later before Aggie is released, Boston had stayed with her at the hospital and both her and his parents were staying at the house with me, and Carter had gone home to his parents, freeing up the room for Aggies parents.

Surrounded by couples, I realised again how my world was going to alter now that Boston had Aggie by his side.  I know he would always be my brother but things were going to change, I hoped I would be able to cope, as Ma had pointed out, I should think of it as gaining a sister, not losing a brother.
Carter had been around most days and between us we were picking up all Bostons and Aggies coursework so they could still keep up with school.

Simons words from the hospital kept going round and round, raising hope in my mind before self doubt brought me down, I wanted it, I wanted a love like theirs.

Having Aggie back and getting better brought life to the house.  Once they were happy she was on the mend her parents had returned home with plans to sell up and move here permanently. Ma and Pop, had spent a lot of time socialising with Aggies family and prompting wedding plans, driving Aggie nuts until they finally chose a date, Boston just wanted to elope to Vegas and marry her quietly but that suggestion did not go down well.

The next few months were hard work for all of us, supporting Aggie, as on top of university work, we had Jonathan's trial, wedding plans, family moves, but through it all I realised my worries were for nothing.  Aggie had pulled us all closer together, my family was strong and would continue to be so.